Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Copper phosphate synthesis useing phosphoric acid???
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 5-2-2015 at 20:13

I assume most of the fellas wear X large, and everyone loves hot chocolate. X-mass list Ramium!:)

Good for you sir!

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 16-11-2020 at 17:20

Copper orthophosphate was made by reacting copper carbonate with orthophosphoric acid. The copper carbonate was from a pottery supply shop and the orthophosphoric acid 85% lab reagent quality.

3CuCO3 + 2H3PO4 = Cu3(PO4)2 + 3H2O + 3CO2

- 10.8g phosphoric acid added to small beaker
- Measure out 15g copper carbonate and start adding in small amounts with hand stirring (acid should be in small excess).
- Bubbles (of CO2) and blue suspension forming. Lumps appear to form that had to broken up with the glass rod.
- Add 30g water to thin the solution and the remaining copper carbonate – the extra water seemed to speed up the reaction. Photo below.
1.jpg - 525kB

- Heat to near boiling for 10 minutes or so, then switch off heat but leave on hot plate to cool slowly. Left for the night.
- Next day – no more signs of any reaction. Blue ppt.
- Transfer to big beaker and wash with 3 portions of 300ml water by stirring, waiting for the ppt to settle, and decanting the wash water. pH between 3-4 after last wash. Photo after final wash below.
2.jpg - 631kB

- Gravity filter and wash a few times in the funnel with water. Clear filtrate, Photo of wet ppt below.
3.jpg - 369kB

- Dry on steam bath. First dry (3 hours) weight went from 29.3g to 15.7g.
- 2nd dry, 2 hours: Weight still the same, 15.7g.
- 2g used for test, 13.7g bottled. Photos of final product below, drying did lighten the color slightly.
4.jpg - 392kB 5.jpg - 439kB

Test product with hydrochloric acid – no bubbling, thus there do not seem to be a significant amount of carbonate left, and dissolves slowly to form a light green solution.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top