Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7
Author: Subject: Ammonium nitrate as propellant
ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 06:02

I will check my laws, I will also give it a try to synthesis KNO3 and make sparklers.

My tests of igniting Thermite or AN/C using metal wool and Al powder failed.

MnO2/Al in ratio 3:1 ------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYMvP3r2qwM

it seems I have a problem with Al powder but not sure, maybe it is a coarse powder :

you can maximize the picture by clicking on it.

[Edited on 9-3-2015 by ecos]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 06:41

That is very coarse Al powder for the type of mixtures you are trying to make.

It is possible for an amateur to make pyro grade Al powder or Mg/Al alloys, do you know what a ball mill is?

http://www.rocketsaway.com/pyrotechnics_ball_mill_theory_spo...

http://pyrotechnic.narod.ru/Black_Powder.pdf

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 07:22

I just went through youtube and found ways to make black Al powder using Ball Mill
I still have to build it , I am going to make one using PVC as shown here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hgs2MppTug&list=WL&...

The Al powder I stated in previous post was used in AN/AL explosives and i was expecting it work well.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
I recall an amateur rocketry hobbyist getting severely burned by a Zinc Sulfur rocket fuel accident. He was carrying a plastic bag of leftover "micro grain" fuel out to burn it off, and brushed the bag of fuel against a fence as he walked, which he believed drew a static spark through the powder.

His dog was walking with him, the dog got some very scorched fur too.

At least he knows how to prepare a hot-dog :D. Was it a chinese guy ;)?

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 09:36

That is very coarse Al powder for the type of mixtures you are trying to make.

It is possible for an amateur to make pyro grade Al powder or Mg/Al alloys, do you know what a ball mill is?

http://www.rocketsaway.com/pyrotechnics_ball_mill_theory_spo...

http://pyrotechnic.narod.ru/Black_Powder.pdf

The resource you provided is very useful , Thx.

the most interesting thing in the ball mill book :

ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-3-2015 at 18:04

Now I have the full picture of what i should do to get very fine Al powder or "German Al powder".

The missing question now, what is the percent of charcoal I need to add on Al to avoid hazards and mitigate risk ?

Most of the videos I found on internet state 2 spoons :) , this is not a technical info at all !

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by ecos]

The only statement I found in an article

Quote:

Carbon – If you are making dark aluminum powder, about 5% carbon (by mass)is added. This helps the powder from becoming hard over time. Graphite (a formof carbon) can be used along with this to help the powder flow better.

[Edited on 10-3-2015 by ecos]
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-3-2015 at 10:04

I have made flake aluminum powder several different times in a 4" ball mill and it worked well. It did take a great deal longer than milling black powder though of course. Buying fine flake aluminum powder can be difficult for many. Supposedly the carbon coats the aluminum and prevents excessive oxidation during milling and during storage/handling before use. The carbon should also reduce the ignition temperature and increase the ease with which flame propagates through the fuel (I think).

IIRC I used 5% charcoal by weight, but I can't remember exactly what I was reading at the time that made me go with 5%. I don't imagine that the exact amount is all that critical, but most of the benefits are probably obtained with a small amount (few percent), also a small amount is better in the sense that it doesn't adulterate the aluminum powder as much.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 07:03

I tried to search for Balls as a media , I think ceramic balls would need time to find it.
I also couldn't find metal/steal balls in neighborhood(the document recommends 1" or 0.5") but I found this :

is the size of this nut acceptable or I need smaller ones ? I plan to make 6" wide X 8" long PVC Jar. for the mill.

I know that metal/steal might make spark but I found some videos who used the same things : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA94uHqUQvg

I think I need to modify the charge in the mill , The document stated 25% of the volume. I think I need more due to the more space that exist now.

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by ecos]
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 10:30

For milling aluminum I used 3/8" steel slingshot ammunition (steel balls), of course a mill drum larger than 4" and possibly larger steel balls would have worked better. For making black powder I used shotgun SSG shot (antimony hardened lead balls).

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by Hennig Brand]

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-3-2015 at 11:08

As a child, I used several rolls of USA 5 cent coins in a 4" rock polisher drum ("Nickles", made of a Nickel Copper alloy. Yes, we spell the coin's name wrong.) Worked pretty well, on black powder and various other chemicals. Didn't try it on Aluminum.

[Edited on 11-3-2015 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Microtek
National Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 02:01

I found high quality ceramic media on ebay. I recommend looking there, it was quite cheap (so cheap that I bought about 2.5 kg of it even though I had no actual use for it).
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 04:20

Here's what I use In my ball mills:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alumina-GRINDING-MEDIA-BALLS-1-2-dia...
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 05:40

Ok , it would need some days to build it , Thx all for the info.

Just to understand the concept of AN as oxidizer , Nakka stated his formula as :

A24 : 68% AN , 4% S , 17% Al , 11% binder (Neoprene)

From the balanced equation , 68% of AN would need 15.2% Al.

if this is correct, this mean we have extra Al that still needs Oxygen, I think this would be provided from the binder ! , is my understanding correct?

but what about Sulfur ?
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 11:47

Aluminum is "oxidized" reasonably well by Sulfur- The Chlorine from the isoprene isn't exactly averse to combing with Al either.

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 12:40

If the aluminium is activated...then in exces you would also have this equation with H2O overheated vapour:
2 Al + 3 H2O(g) --> Al2O3 + 3 H2(g) + heat

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 16:14

Aluminum is "oxidized" reasonably well by Sulfur- The Chlorine from the isoprene isn't exactly averse to combing with Al either.

I think the reaction between Al and S would be like this :

this reaction would generate a lot of heat.

this mean :

1. 68% AN would oxidize 15.2% Al
  2. 4% S would react with 2.2% Al

why don't we think that AN would oxidize S to get SO2 ?!
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 16:21

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  
If the aluminium is activated...then in exces you would also have this equation with H2O overheated vapour:
2 Al + 3 H2O(g) --> Al2O3 + 3 H2(g) + heat

I was thinking about this but when I checked the equations :

I think this would need a lot of Al :) , I dont know if this is correct or not.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 05:37

Quote: Originally posted by ecos  

I think the reaction between Al and S would be like this :

this reaction would generate a lot of heat.

this mean :

1. 68% AN would oxidize 15.2% Al
  2. 4% S would react with 2.2% Al

why don't we think that AN would oxidize S to get SO2 ?!

Welcome to the complexity of stoechiometrics and reaction products :D.

Of course S and an oxydiser will make SO2 and SO3.
But affinity of Al for O is greater than the affinity of S for O...
Electronegativity/electroposivity potential explain this.

So the reaction is possible but depends on the relative amount of each reactants...and may be statistically low!

Also heat of reaction will favour certain equilibriums and disfarvor others.

If you want 100% accurate reaction products this may involve a lot of maths, physico-chemical calculations.

Usually chemists remains on the general average reaction with major reaction products...yes we work with good aggrement approximations ;).
Most chemists are lazy :P

[Edited on 13-3-2015 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 06:01

Wow :)
You shocked me !
So how do pyrotechnicians design the correct percentage? Is it trial and error process?
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 10:19

So how do pyrotechnicians design the correct percentage? Is it trial and error process?

Stoichiometry and experience gets you into the ball park, then tests and adjustments to fine tune a device's performance. Optimum performance is often not found precisely at stoichiometric ratios...

Then repeat those tests and adjustments whenever you get a new batch of raw materials. Especially necessary when using natural products (charcoal, gums, resins, starches & etc.) or changing to a different supplier of oxidizers or metalic fuels. Seemingly small variations in composition of materials and particle size/shape can have unexpected consequences.

ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2015 at 03:46

Stoichiometry and experience gets you into the ball park, then tests and adjustments to fine tune a device's performance. Optimum performance is often not found precisely at stoichiometric ratios...

Then repeat those tests and adjustments whenever you get a new batch of raw materials. Especially necessary when using natural products (charcoal, gums, resins, starches & etc.) or changing to a different supplier of oxidizers or metalic fuels. Seemingly small variations in composition of materials and particle size/shape can have unexpected consequences.

My life became hard now :)

pfff , I need to read a lot to understand more.

regarding the binder , how would it decompose now ?

Neo has formula : [C4H5Cl ]n

This means it would be decomposed to H2O , CO2 and Cl . This mean we need extra oxygen to supply the binder ! would that make sense ?
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2015 at 05:37

Neoprene will decompose into HCl or Cl2 depending on the amount of oxydizer.

And yes inert binder needs extra oxygen to burn what might be good to temper the reaction heat and speed.

Active binder contains oxygen to burn its own fuel and sometimes active binders are explosive/propellants on their own.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 06:57

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  
Neoprene will decompose into HCl or Cl2 depending on the amount of oxydizer.

And yes inert binder needs extra oxygen to burn what might be good to temper the reaction heat and speed.

Active binder contains oxygen to burn its own fuel and sometimes active binders are explosive/propellants on their own.

Great , That interests me a lot :)

Quote:

Polyvinyl acetate ---> Formula: (C4H6O2)n

I could find P.V acetate-based contact cement in hardware stores nearby, It has Oxygen rather than Cl. it also has H/C ratio higher than Neoprene.

but I think it doesn't have enough Oxygen !
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-3-2015 at 06:38

I found this Page would be useful for others who deal with AN.
kecskesajt
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2015 at 09:14

Can I make a propellant using AN+Polystyrene?I know it is used in BLU - 82 with Al but that an explosive not a propellant.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  7

Go To Top