Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: homework question
Darkstar
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 04:02

Quote: Originally posted by Yttrium2  

Car B gets 45 mpg and costs 8 grand.

I might want to get rid of my car and get a motorcycle, since I have a truck. This might save me a ton on gas mileage

What kind of motorcycle did you have in mind, if you don't mind me asking? Is 'Car B' supposed to represent the motorcycle? Because an $8,000 bike that gets around 45 mpg has "sport bike" written all over it. Specifically a 600. Considering you're my age and a male, I'm guessing that's what you want? If it is, I'll just tell you right now that you're not going to be saving a "ton" on anything. It might get slightly better gas mileage than your car, which isn't saying much since it's still pretty bad gas mileage for a motorcycle of that engine size, but they can very well end up costing you a fortune in speeding tickets and insurance rates if you're not careful. If it's saving money you're after, sport bikes generally aren't the way to go. They're designed for performance, not economy. They're more of a "toy" than anything else.

That isn't to say they can't be cheaper if you don't ride like an idiot; however, you're likely going to be riding the hell out of it because, let's face it, bikes are just freaking fun to ride. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's just going to be for transportation to and from work/school and that's it. There's going to be a lot of joy riding in-between, trust me. Expect to be visiting the gas station a lot more often than you think. Oh, and you'll need to buy 91 octane gas from now on, too. These are high-performance engines, after all. ;)

/slightly tongue-in-cheek rant

Really, though, in all seriousness, what kind of bike are you interested in? Have you taken the MSF course? Any previous riding experience, either on the street or in the dirt? If this is your first street bike, don't even think about a liter bike. 600s are terrible first bikes, too, for that matter (aggressive riding position, insanely strong brakes, touchy throttle, unpredictable powerband, sudden bursts of torque etc), and are not at all forgiving when you fuck up. Plus they tend to be heavy and intimating, causing you to develop your skills as a rider much more slowly (in addition to developing bad habits) than you would've if you had started out on a smaller bike.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I apologize if I have assumed wrong. It's just that I haven't met many 26-year-old males who didn't want a sport bike for their first motorcycle. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and be safe. And wear some damn gear! Don't be another one of those dumbass squids on a GSX-R1000 doing triple digits down the highway wearing nothing but flip-flops, a t-shirt and cargo shorts...

And in case you haven't figured it out by now, I ride a sport bike. :D

My 2010 Yamaha R6:

bike.jpg - 3.7MB

[Edited on 3-24-2015 by Darkstar]
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 15:19

@ Darkstar
nice ride, sir
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 15:28

It has no Roof.

At my age, i prefer vehicles with air-con, heating, and weather proofing built in.

morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 14:24

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
It has no Roof.

At my age, i prefer vehicles with air-con, heating, and weather proofing built in.

I am pretty much the same, that said, riding through some of the mountain roads near me gives some feeling of peace.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 25-3-2015 at 17:22

Yttrium2,

Did what we post help at all? I tried to explain step by step, and why.

Any further questions?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top