Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of Aluminium Phenoxide
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

Mood: Free

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 17:34
Synthesis of Aluminium Phenoxide

I can't find any current methods of this synthesis at the moment. The only one came from an old manual that I've now lost that called for 0.001 mol% Mercuric Chloride, 1 mol of Al, and 3 mol of phenol in a nitrogen atmosphere.

My guess nitrogen is just a regular procaution and it need not be completely dry or devoid of oxygen? Should it be easy as adding Al powder to phenol and refluxing for 5 hours?
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 17:42

Addendum: I should mention that gritted aluminium is one of the biggest wastes of money if I can just use Al(OH)3 instead.
Would that be easier or harder to react with phenol?
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 17:42

This link makes no mention of the nitrogen atmosphere so it may be unnecessary. The mercuric chloride is present to remove the oxide layer from the aluminum and increase reactivity by forming the Al/Hg amalgam. Refluxing aluminum powder and phenol may work, but the yield may be significantly reduced by excluding the mercury catalyst.
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 17:55

Ah! Brilliant. This was the exact pdf that I found a few days ago. For some reason, I couldn't find it today.
It does mention the Nitrogen atmosphere, though. But it isn't mentioned anywhere besides experimental. Plus, I don't think oxygen or water would interfere [much].

For those keeping track at home, here's the procedure from the journal:
Quote:
Al (1 mole) was added to excess phenol (4.3 mole), in 2 L dried THF (solvent) and (0.001 mole) HgCl2 in a flask [9]. The mixture was refluxed for 24 h under a N2 atmosphere with stirring. Solvent and alcohol were removed by vacuum distillation. Aluminum phenoxide was not extracted by further vacuum distillation since it decomposes on heating and was collected from the flask

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
The mercuric chloride is present to remove the oxide layer from the aluminum and increase reactivity by forming the Al/Hg amalgam. Refluxing aluminum powder and phenol may work, but the yield may be significantly reduced by excluding the mercury catalyst.

This is a shame. But I would much rather lose yield than add mercury to my compound. Just not worth it for me...

Last mentions:
1. Would Gallium create the necessary amalgam? Would it theoretically work as a catalyst as well considering reflux temperature?
2. Will try using toluene as the solvent. I expect no possible loses on that front.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 18:22

I can't answer definitively, but this thread may be of some use http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=31127
dermolotov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2015 at 18:31

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
I can't answer definitively, but this thread may be of some use http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=31127

Will skim it and prepare a method. Report back soon with results.
Cheers GodFlip :D

Won't think many people will make use of this reaction/product. But then again, who the hell is making use of my thesis? :P
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2015 at 00:50

Quote:
Would Gallium create the necessary amalgam?

Al-Ga amalgam is so powerful that it can liberate H2 from plain water,so I think it should work,although Gallium is expensive so it is not as common as Hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JasZ8V6LpbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqDU6DsYr98
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 02:29

I was wondering,what would happen if AlI3 is reacted with sodium phenoxide,will it form aluminum phenoxide ?

Go To Top