Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Refrigerator vacuum pump?
ISCGora
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 01:45
Refrigerator vacuum pump?

Hello,I have a question about refrigerator vacuum pump.I was planning to make one but I am not really sure how to dispose of Freon(CCl2F2) and other things since it is very toxic for atmosphere,is there any good ways of neutralizing it.

Also does anyone with some experience know for how long can it work before over heating.

Thanks!:)

[Edited on 13-4-2015 by ISCGora]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 04:21

The best method is to call a refrig / AC repair contractor, and have them recover the freon for you.

I can pretty much guess that no one that has built one of these pumps has taken this step.

IMHO these "pumps" are about the most "Ghetto" route you can take. There is a very long thread here, and a few YouTube vids on the conversion.
None of them work out the way you would expect or need.

There are start up issues, oil issues, heat issues, I'd skip the idea, and buy a proper vacuum pump.

At the very least you can purchase a china built vacuum pump made for refrigeration use for under 150.00 USD or find a used lab pump on line for a couple hundred.

I still plan on building my own but that's because I enjoy the challenge. The cost will be about the same.

Here's the thread... http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14435

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
ISCGora
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 04:30

I know it is crap but I really dont feel like paying 200e for pump,but other thing I was thinking is getting like 2 water aspirators connecting them to a water pump and get vacuum like that.Still primitive setup but...
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 04:39

Quote: Originally posted by ISCGora  
I know it is crap but I really dont feel like paying 200e for pump,but other thing I was thinking is getting like 2 water aspirators connecting them to a water pump and get vacuum like that.Still primitive setup but...

Move to China and get a lab pump for $55, or I MIGHT start selling them on E-bay for $70.
ISCGora
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 04:48

But I would need to learn Chinese :(

but 55$ pump wow that sounds like a deal only I am not sure do you use same 220V 50/60Hz..
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 11:37

You can find those China made pumps on AliExpress or AliBaba for 40 - 60.00 USD BUT they are generally 80 - 100.00 USD shipping.

I'd suggest Rosetta Stone. Mandarin is easier...

Zom.
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 11:56

Why is there starting problems with fridge pumps.
Is it because the oil goes into the cylinder (where the piston goes up and down) of the compressor and this does not happen when the pump/system is full of refrigerant gas when the pump is in use as intended by the maker.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 14-4-2015 at 12:05

It is explained in one of the videos in the thread I linked.

The fella assumed that with no freon to create pressure the start up capacitor was not needed.
Most of the fridge pumps you will find today hav a two stage method of running, and need to be wired accordingly. They start at high torque, and switch to high rpm.

The biggest issues are they rely on the Freon to cool themselves, and they are NOT meant for continuous duty so even if you add a cooling fan they will burn up if run for long periods.

By the time you invest 20 - 30 bucks into vacuum tubing, wire connectors, and such stuff... That is 20 - 30 bucks wasted. IMHO!

Zom.

Go To Top