Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Palm oil
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

thumbdown.gif posted on 18-4-2015 at 11:15
Palm oil

I was unable to find an answer by myself and to me it looks like they are unnecessarily deforesting important lands.

What's so valuable in palm oil you can't get from any other source?! Myristic, palmitic, oleic, stearic, linoleic acid can surely all be synthesized, no?

I remember a documentary about how ecstasy is destroying cambodian forests because of the safrole that's in sassafras tree roots - here's the thing though: there's plenty of eugenol from multiple sources and it can be converted into safrole

Am I missing something or is it convenience/cost of natural vs synthetic?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 11:37

I believe the answer lies in the same slash, and burn techniques used for a century by "Big Oil" companies.

It's certainly less expensive to harvest plant matter in third world countries than it is to establish a facility to synthesize compounds employing highly skilled workers.

http://www.ijee.ieefoundation.org/vol1/issue2/IJEE_07_v1n2.p...

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 11:42

Besides, if someone looked at two soft drinks and one said it contained synthetic palm oil and the other just palm oil I would wager the majority of people would chose the 'all natural' type despite deforesting the rain forest.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 11:54

But theoretically, I COULD produce synthetic palm oil from say animal fats, sell that to palm oil buyers as the real deal, so they have no way of knowing whether or not it is "all natural"...
Just like, say, sell non-halal meat as halal or horse as beef, with the difference that they couldn't tell apart one from the other?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 13:21

Sure. Why not! :mad:

Zom.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 13:30

Those rainforests are destroyed because thats what safrole containing trees like camphor do... they poison the earth they are growing in, and only their saplings can tolerate those chemicals, but, they dispose those chemicals in the rainforest, as far as i´ve read, so what?
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 13:31

You could just produce palm oil sustainably, instead of doing something illegal and unethical. I don't buy into the "natural is better for you" hype, but people should be free to make choices based on real information.
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 13:53

Wait, what's the problem in deception when NMR can determine them as identical? Am I missing something?
RareEarth
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 14:07

Quote: Originally posted by cmos6667  
Wait, what's the problem in deception when NMR can determine them as identical? Am I missing something?

Cost. In a large majority of cases, getting things such as palm oil from the environment is significantly cheaper than producing it synthetically.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 14:15

Quote: Originally posted by RareEarth  

Cost. In a large majority of cases, getting things such as palm oil from the environment is significantly cheaper than producing it synthetically.

RareEarth is correct.

Cmos... What's the problem with deception? Really? Look around you brother. Deception is the cause of most of the problems the world, and it's peoples face.

What's one more little white lie, eh?

[Edited on 4-18-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
cmos6667
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 15:00

Right... You know Gaylord? They used to make DMSO from lignin and that was their big selling point (something about it being better for pharmaceuticals and whatnot), but they since switched their synthesis to a more profitable source without putting a big label on their bottles saying "this wasn't made from lignin, so ignore our previous claims"
Users of it will still be convinced that their DMSO is better than the competitor's until they realize that they've been paying a higher price for no good reason, then saying "meh, it works"
On a purely molecular level, my point being "what mom doesn't know won't make mommy sad"
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 15:44

As long as they're not saying it's still produced from lignin I don't see the problem. If they are that would be unethical. Even if the fat mixture in synthetic palm oil was 100% chemically identical to that in "natural" palm oil, people may want to support specific production methods, or they may be looking for specific naturally occurring trace chemicals, or they may just be idiots; in none of these circumstances is it your place to mislead them benevolently.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 16:58

Take for example acetic acid. In the states at least, food grade acetic acid must come from microbial action. No exceptions. Doesn't matter that methanol carbonylation is cheaper. Most people I have met like what comes into their body to come from a natural origin, i.e., you need a natural feedstock (even natural feed stocks with minor chemical modifications are frowned upon). It does not matter if things are 100% identical in final form, as Etaoin Shrdlu said, people like to make choices based on real information. Even if they make what would seem to you to be the wrong choice.

But, in the big picture the best idea would be to just market it as something new. Make a synthetic version and market it as "Joy Throat Lube" or something of that nature. Say it functions just like palm oil... but better! People like things that are better and it will justify the increased price.

Unfortunately, by the time that gets off the ground we'll be back to using 100% all natural whale oil (just like grand-grand-grand-dad used to make).

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 18:18

We have a myriad of laws that cover this in the US anyway.

The Fair Packaging and Labeling Act, and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act are the first to come to mind.

Miss labeling a product or purposeful omissions from labeling are not really something that is taken lightly here.

Zom.
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2015 at 20:09

What's so good about palm oil? Cost and stability for food. It is being used to produce biodiesel in warm climates (it will gel readily in colder weather). Smaller amounts are funneled into soap (sodium palmate) and cosmetic production (for example, cetearyl alcohol (a mix of cetyl and stearyl alcohols) is the high-pressure hydrogenation product).

The popularity has nothing to do with the components of the oil specifically. Palm replaces partially hydrogenated vegetable oils as a solid-at-room-temp oil which is extra useful in baked and certain fried goods. It does so while being "trans fat free" and "non-GMO" (most soybeans are some form of GMO at this point, not that anyone should care) to appeal to the paranoid modern marketplace. As a mostly saturated oil, it is highly resistant to rancidity, improving product shelf life.

The oil yield per hectare of palm is superior to all other major oil crops, by almost an order of magnitude in some cases. I don't believe that they require any sort of fertilizer input unlike annual oil crops (like soy). It is fairly easy to harvest and extract and produces a second product, palm kernel oil, which sells for a higher price. However, it grows best (best oil yield) in climates where there's normally rainforest so down they come.

Can palm oil be produced sustainably? Sure. Can enough be made to satisfy current (and growing) demand. Probably not. Is there really any incentive (financial, because that is the only thing that will work) for poor 3rd world farmers to farm sustainably? Almost definitely not. End-consumers give less than a fuck on average so there is no motivation for corporations to seek out (and pay more for) sustainable palm. And who, then would go and make sure everyone is being sustainable? The RSPO? (yeah, sure...)

[Edited on 19-4-2015 by UC235]

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  

Take for example acetic acid. In the states at least, food grade acetic acid must come from microbial action. No exceptions. Doesn't matter that methanol carbonylation is cheaper.

Not true, actually. See this: http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyG...

You can use petrochemical acetic acid in foods. You just can't call it vinegar. Around passover time here, you see "Imitation white vinegar" in the kosher foods sections. This is petrochemical derived and avoids a lot of (stupid and convoluted) religious arguments about whether you can consume or possess vinegar during passover.

[Edited on 19-4-2015 by UC235]

Go To Top