Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Effective apparatus to use when making Anhydrous Ammonia?
localbroadcast
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 04:58
Effective apparatus to use when making Anhydrous Ammonia?

Hello again!

I have seen a couple suggested setups for creating anhydrous ammonia, some much simpler than others, and was wondering if anyone could provide some input.. preferably someone with first hand experience!

Here's one from the Erowid Archive that seems like it may do the job without being overly complicated..

Eleusis: Preparation of Pure Ammonia

The reason I am asking is because I don't like the idea of using glassware for the 'Coldfinger' part of the setup. I wouldn't feel confident that the ammonia would all be condensed.. I also don't see an outlet for excess system pressure to be released. I would like a setup that is open to the atmosphere at the very end so that excess pressure / vacuum can equalize. It would need a drying tube and be cooled so that any escaping ammonia vapor would condense and return to the collection vessel, and no water vapor would be able to be introduced from that end of the system.

I like the Eleusis setup up until the point where the cold finger / collection vessel is, and I would like to replace it with something stainless.. I don't really like the idea of using a teflon tube to connect the cold finger to the drying tube as per the Eleusis diagram.. I feel like it could potentially get clogged with ice from small droplets of water vapor freezing in the line..

Anyways, any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
papaya
National Hazard

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 05:21

Interesting video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_DD2_7QkRk
localbroadcast
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 06:24

Thanks Papaya, Ive already watched that video a couple times. Unfortunately I don't have a cryogenic freezing unit...
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 27-5-2015 at 08:41

Check out this thread:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4566

Both garage chemist and I prepared liquid ammonia, using different methods.

--------------------------------
I read over Eleusis' method and see nothing wrong with it. In fact, his use of NH4Cl sounds like a good improvement.

His sketch is poor. I don't think he implies using a closed receiver for the liquid ammonia. It should not be closed and doesn't need to be.

There's nothing wrong with using glass as no pressure is built up. Glass is preferred IMO as you can see what's going on.

[Edited on 27-5-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem

Go To Top