Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: nichrome in vacuum
lahthffire
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 12:28
nichrome in vacuum

I've been told that nichrome should not be used in a vacuum. The person that told me this couldn't remember where they heard it. I've done some research and all i can come up with is that K-type thermocouples (which use Chromel, a brand name for a nichrome alloy) are not recommended for vacuum use. I could not find any reason for this, however.

Does anybody know why nichrome might not be suitable for use in a vacuum? The guy I talked to at Omega seemed to thing it was some sort of chemical degredation, but he didn't know what.

I need to design a heating element for a vacuum furnace, and I would like to use nichrome because it is cheap and readily available. I'm hoping the only issue will be that it is necessary to multiply the maximum power density by some correction factor to account for the loss of convective heat transfer.
AllanD
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 13:19

Have you considered using "glow rod" heating elements?

They are form of Silicon Carbide commonly used in industrial heat treating kilns in atmosphere of hydrogen gas, inert gas as well as in vacuum.

AllanD
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 17-7-2006 at 13:33

It might be the alloy needs oxygen to remain corrosion-resistant, and one or both of the metals may be prone to evaporation at maximum temperature.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top