Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Restricted Chemicals AUS???
Rynoaus
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2016 at 21:52

Yes it was acetic anhydride on the warrant it says and this is funny: that on this day this person was UNLAWFULLY in possessed a relevant substance namely Acetic Anhydride detail of warrant evidence or property that may be seized under warrant: acetic anhydride,citric acid crystals,baking soda,gas top cooker and items used in the manufacture of illicit drugs computers and electronic devices order forms or receipts for acetic anhydride.
When I saw this I thought god my kitchen stove is gas are they really gonna rip that out and take it lol and most of it is contained in a normal household. They took my phone cos they probably wanna see my texts and emails and shit but all I do is look at science stuff and I don't know or hang around any criminals. So to my mind if they try to charge me with something when I was attempting to do something legitimate with it I'll be able to fight it in court if I have too. But this is the attitude you could face the officer asked me why I would do chemistry for a hobby I told him knowledge, knowledge of the world around us the universe and ourselves this he could not understand! When he asked if my experiment had the wanted outcome could there be money in it to which I replied possibly then he thought he understood but money is not the reason knowledge is.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 02:37

the police have to prove intent, which is why they have taken evidence that may potentially incriminate you. but as you say, you don't hang with the wrong crowd, so I would not expect you will have any trouble (good luck). you will also find that acquisition of glassware will attract the police as can be vouched for by several Australian SM members. as already discussed in this thread, ensure you have a paper trail showing your use of potentially illegal materials and equipment.

Beginning construction of periodic table display
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 03:05

Makes sense, diddi. Evidence to analyse to establish intent.

Indeed, good luck. I'd be having a preliminary conversation with a lawyer because you don't want this kind of thing to drag on or become more awkward due to something that you inadvertently said or did (or didn't do).

Sad that this situation arose. This is the first story of its kind that I have heard that did not pan out happily. It should have a happy ending but the middle bit is crud.

This document (attached) has been posted before but is relevant and a good read. Sure enough, your AA is the first item in appendix one.

Attachment: end user declaration.pdf (242kB)
This file has been downloaded 368 times

Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 03:29

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  
the police have to prove intent, which is why they have taken evidence that may potentially incriminate you. but as you say, you don't hang with the wrong crowd, so I would not expect you will have any trouble (good luck). you will also find that acquisition of glassware will attract the police as can be vouched for by several Australian SM members. as already discussed in this thread, ensure you have a paper trail showing your use of potentially illegal materials and equipment.

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/legisltn/current/d/drugsm...
States 1 a person who unlawfully possesses a relevant substance commits a crime.
Maximum sentence 15 years
2 it is a defence to a charge of an offence against subsection 1 for a person to prove that the person has a reasonable excuse for possessing a relevant substance or thing.
Have a look at the lists anything and everything is in there. Thanks for the good wishes. Maybe at best I'll get my AA at worst I may still get it but it costs in court fees we'll see I'll keep everyone updated. I'm planning on telling the guy when I see him that I'm going to get proper glassware set(I've always jury rigged something for my purposes) nothing to fancy or big but enough to further my experimentations and see what he says.cheers
Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 03:39

Thanks again also I should explain I bought on eBay green technologies they are really good actually. I probably should of tried to purchase in aus and do the end user dec but I drive trucks interstate so I really only get weekends at home. It's really hard for the hobby chemist/scientist ,terrorist drugs and the deliberate dumbing down of the population will see a gentlemans pursuit outlawed.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 05:03

I honestly would not want to be in your shoes mate and I would do as j_sum1 suggested and contact a lawyer to nip this in the bud before it's blown out of proportion.

All the best
diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2016 at 14:26

I point of difference with this case j_sum is that the trigger for the raid was chems and not glassware. hmmm. beware "unusual" imports from Onyx and the like :(

and a bit of encouragement. I know of au SM members who have been raided and have not had large quantities of banned chems confiscated, let alone further action taken, so there is at least some room for the hobby chemist to practise their evil craft here. more good luck to you

[Edited on 14-3-2016 by diddi]

Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-3-2016 at 02:43

Thanks again I hope it doesn't turn into a farce. I checked the TGA website before I purchased to make sure I didn't require an import licence or permit. But if a person isn't intending on making drugs why really would they go looking into the drugs misuse act.
diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-3-2016 at 03:21

i tried to get the required documentation to import thallium. got directed from place to place until they could not decide what to recommend so they gave up and said i did not fit into a category requiring licencing :(

Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-3-2016 at 12:26

Quote: Originally posted by diddi  
i tried to get the required documentation to import thallium. got directed from place to place until they could not decide what to recommend so they gave up and said i did not fit into a category requiring licencing :(

Seems pretty typical of the legislation it even leaves the people in charge wondering what's legal and what's not. I suppose the best thing as sum1 suggests is to get an ABN and get account but that then brings about the cost issue full distillation set from China half the price it is here. Ahh groan scratch head
Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 22:17

Update. I had sent an email to customs stating that I wanted it for research and told them the process I was looking at. After the police came they I'm told showed my email to two police chemists. One of them said don't believe me and the other said do believe he is legit. So they call me down to the police station to give my phone and notebook back and the officer tells me that while they are not (generously) going to charge me but I cannot have the chemicals they will not release them to a joe blo from the public and made me sign a waiver giving up ownership. He told me that AA can be converted directly to heroin and I can't have it. So after some discussion I pressed him on the issue of glassware to which I got a fuck knows answer. I also said we'll can I get acetyl chloride then it's not on the list and of course the answer was dunno. This is a link to the actual amounts and what is relevant. https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/D/DrugsM...
Notice it doesn't even mention sizes for flasks anything could be a reaction vessel includind really a bucket!
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 23:21

the Australian Gov<sup>TM</sup> have been operating behind vague and undefined laws for a long time now, it's no better for us firearm owners. I'm glad they didn't choose to make an example of you
diddi
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 00:52

yes you have had good luck, but from a more sceptical point of view, they clearly could not prove intent so they would not have been able to prosecute anyway. again, good documentation and a paper trail has supported a home chemist. let that be a lesson to others.

glad that your hobby does not have to take place behind bars :)

Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 02:48

Thanks. Yeah it kinda sucked in the fact that I live in a small city so the officer here only sent the email to customs that I had sent with a brief description of what I was doing. But if they had actually copied my notebook and sent that to the chemists in B then they would've seen clearly what I was getting at, the process, the thinking and notes behind it. As well as past experiments with detailed notes on the chemicals used amounts etc and products as well as disposal (I try not to have a great deal of chems laying @ even though it in locked shed I have a child) so I can't understand why they wouldn't have sent that but anyway it turned out a draw. It's a setback but that's life. I don't suppose acetyl chloride would work in the cellulose reaction to acetate I'll have to look into that now. Cheers all
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 03:49

From acetyl chloride and anhydrous sodium acetate you can make acetic anhydride. This may be a route for you to get small quantities of acetic anhydride, which you use up in experiments, so that you do not violate any laws by storing it.

Keep in mind though that acetyl chloride is a real nasty and long term storage of this is a pain in the ass. The only really satisfactory way is ampouling it.

[Edited on 23-3-16 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 15:28

Thanks I've thought about that I'm trying
To see if I can get it without a drama I'll see how that goes. :(
Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2016 at 16:45

Update I bought some glassware that I was assured came from within aus so that I could sign an end user Dec if needed etc well It mustn't have. had a few cool experiments in mind. Any way three weeks after my initial raid they just came back this morning going on that I bought a condenser and then went through my shed again asked if I had iodine which I don't and reckoned that some of the chemicals I had could make ice (a couple weeks ago it was heroin)I politely told them that you could probably make anything from anything nearly so what does that prove then one of them ended up being ok calling me a mad scientist lol I'm far from well versed in chemistry I feel. So they took my whole new glass kit to test it and to see if it conforms with regulations? What regulations would they be I could only find info in drugs misuse act. This is really pissing me off I tell you I lost money with the chemical and I bet they will say I can't have it and that I have to sign it over to them unreal they really are just thieves they can't prove a thing but they still take stuff just because. Qld is a redneck hole but I was born here and have made my life here. End note I told cop I was accused ten years ago of making drugs they had nothing because there was nothing nefarious that didn't stop them from writing an official letter stating that was what I was doing gave it to real estate agent and got me kicked out. Then conseded weeks later that there was nothing in it. And now this crap and he said is it really worth it? I said that's crap that attitude is it worth it to learn? Experiment? I said just come over and ask to look in my shed as long as your not here looking for pot( yes I smoke on occasion) you are welcome to see what I am doing with chemistry to which he replied well we may need to come to a compromise like that as I'm giving to end up with charges of shooting you if I have to come back here every month over something you've ordered from china. Obviously supplier lied about where item was despatched from.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-4-2016 at 17:27

Crap!

So, what happened to the EUD you signed?

I would be asking further questions about this one. Did you record their badge numbers?
In this case they have obviously overstepped the mark and have not followed procedure. There should be some follow-up.

More discussion later -- gotta go.

Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2016 at 17:38

I know one of them by name but get their badge numbers there was a South African cop who was not too bad but he was the one who seem to know the most about chemistry anyway thanks cheers talk soon
Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2016 at 17:43

oh and the end user agreement was never asked for in the end which I figured might just come with the invoice so that I could sign it and send it back on a side note I got 24/ 40 an organic glassware set with a bunch of stuff couple of different condensers bits and pieces I figure 24/40 is pretty much the same as 24/29 isn't it as the 24 is the constricting size for the flow rate if I'm on the right track I just figured with the larger conical so that it might be a bit tougher at the joints

[Edited on 15-4-2016 by Rynoaus]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-4-2016 at 18:18

I use 24/40 and have a couple of 24/29 bits that fit with it.

I'm in QLD. We are probably quite close. Send a U2U if you want.

(At work at the moment so can't really chat.)

Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-4-2016 at 18:24

Will do thanks
Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-4-2016 at 05:49

on the topic of end user declarations does anyone know is the onus on the company to ask for one and provide one or is there also an expectation on the purchaser as I can only find codes of practice that state that the provider must ask for an application to be filled out and then send it on to the Commissioner of Police is the onus is on only the seller then I am wondering how in the news a poor guy in Townsville was found making tea tree oil with a distillation set that he bought from China and they charge him with not providing an end user declaration somehow my set didn't even arrived with a paper invoice but it said sometbi g about Sydney on the postal stamp on top I really have no idea where it came from now.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-4-2016 at 06:33

I believe if you are importing the glassware then the onus is on you to provide an EUD, only the Australian suppliers would be bound by law to require an EUD before sale, and that may even vary from state to state, in any case I wouldnt just take their word for it, I would fill one out and submit it myself, especially so if I lived in Queensland, horrible place
Rynoaus
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 03:22

OK so I was unable to find an easy way to quickly send a eud I don't even have a printer but as its sent to the commissioner of police I emailed his office with details of what I wanted it for ametuer chemistry trying to prove out theory's I have and possible invention's I just listed the set I had and swore that it would not be used to make illicit substances outlined the quandary with sellers location etc so its been sent within 12 days and if they want more details they can ask the officers who took my stuff they know it all. Also the chemicals that really had the guy in a huff was hydrogen peroxide and pottasium permanganate I asked him what do they do then he says you make iodine from them maybe he meant extract I'm not sure really the brought out some afid killer and asked do I use that for anything but plants it has pottasium salts it says then asks if I have a root rot product which I dont. I showed him glycerin for use with permanganate for survival kit as well as exp and explained that hydrogen peroxide was for the sulfuric acid exp. So yeah pretty full on stuff.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top