Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using a sintered buchner funnel
chemic_oll
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 11:56
Using a sintered buchner funnel

Hi.

This may well be a rather daft question but......

When using a sinterd buchner funnel how does one go about cleaning the filtrate from the sintered pad? Is it just a case of scraping it out with a spatula etc? I've only ever used porcelain funnels with filter paper where it is easy to remove the filter and recover even the smallest amount of filtrate.

In my head I just imagine filtrate staying stuck in the pad?

Am I just being foolish?

Also how would one decide what porosity to choose when purchasing a sintered funnel?
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 12:06

Yeah, sintered funnels are just usually pretty hard to clean. I think that the finer ones are easiest to clean since the plates are more smooth and stuff doesn't get stuck in them as well. The more coarse ones of course filter faster, so the different types have different benefits. If you're filtering something really nasty that's hard to clean, you can still use filter paper with them. But don't expect to be able to recover all of your precipitate.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 13:19

At the end run the same solvent you recryx with through until clean and evaporate the filtrate. If the filtrate evaporates to yield a worthwhile amount recryx it and see if you get enough to concern yourself with. BTW: I have used filter paper with sintered funnels and it has made recovery of very fine residues easier. But, sometimes I've had to cut the paper to fit the funnel. A compass knife can help.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
chemic_oll
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 23:03

Thanks both of you.

Go To Top