Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Batteries
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 17:12
Batteries

Could someone please either direct me to a good video on how to dissect button cell batteries or explain it? And if you could also include the dissection of Zinc carbon D cells

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

Any tips or good sources are welcome.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 18:59

Nurdrage has a good series on disassembly of a carbon zinc lantern battery and the recovery and purification of the manganese compounds in it.
There are plenty of vids on recovering the lithium from an AA battery. Button cells with the same chemistry are going to be fiddlier and give a lot less of useful things. Why did you want to do this? If it is out of curiosity, then grab a screwdriver and have a go yourself. If it is to get something from inside, then good luck. There are better places to go for that.
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 19:45

A short list of compounds that button cells use that are useful, Silver, pure oxygen, lithium, and mercury

Elements Collected: 19/81 (Excluding all radioactive, using placecard for those)

DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 20:13

The only reason why I ask. Is because I have several LFP batteries and CdNi batteries I also want to dismantle for materials. For element collecting

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 21:05

Quote: Originally posted by DalisAndy  
The only reason why I ask. Is because I have several LFP batteries and CdNi batteries I also want to dismantle for materials. For element collecting

Then you and I are on the same page. I also am looking at element collecting. But I have not looked closely at button batteries.

Li can be obtained easily from an AA lithium battery.
Silver -- buy silver wire or get it by purifying old jewellery.
Mercury -- I think battery manufacturers have been doing all they can for decades to ensure that mercury levels are extremely low. If you want OTC mercury then buy a mercury tilt switch or thermometer. Or get on eBay for an old sphygmomanometer.
Oxygen is not going to be found inside a button battery. Oxygen-containing compounds might. But again, there are better sources. To my knowledge, the simplest way to obtain a stream of oxygen gas is to use a CoCl2 catalyst to decompose household bleach. The O2 will be wet but you can dry it by standard methods.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 21:15

For wet oxygen, decomposing OTC hydrogen peroxide solution is cheap and viable, as is using sodium or potassium chlorate.

[Edited on 30-7-2015 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 21:24

Yep. Except that the maximum available locally is 6% and the cost is comparable to gold bars. I have cobalt chloride and bleach is cheap. Therefore, this method is better for me. Of course it all depends on what is available where you live.

Incidentally, I understand that some lithium batteries contain a quantity of cobalt that can be recovered. I haven't seen it myself though.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 29-7-2015 at 22:15

don't forget Ni and Cd are still around if you can find some old rechargables.

Beginning construction of periodic table display
DalisAndy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-7-2015 at 11:30

I'm only concerned about the electrolyte. I'm a minor and my parents don't want me getting hurt. They won't let me unless I have a procedure that a chemist has approved of. They are worried about the hydrogen inside some. I also lack any equipment.

[Edited on 30-7-2015 by DalisAndy]

Go To Top