Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why're pipes not being made of Aluminium?
PKMN
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 12:57
Why're pipes not being made of Aluminium?

And traffic signs are. Also, why utensils are not (spoons...)?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 13:12

They are.

Pipes are better in Copper as it has some disinfectant qualities, is pretty much inert to anything people usually chuck down their drain, and is easy to join by soldering.

Al pipes are used where weight is a problem, and the exact chemistry of the fluids they will transport are known.

Al cutlery already exists (google camping cutlery).

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 14:58

Being neurotoxic doesn't help either. Especially with well water, the pH and composition can vary greatly, unless the aluminum is lined (like a soft-drink can) then it can be attacked. They could sell aluminum pipes with a lining but then how long would it last and how would you ensure it is at the joints? Aluminum isn't really cheap either, besides, PEX is really becoming the go-to for piping.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 15:17

A great deal of pipe used for crop irrigation systems in USA is made of Aluminum- Light weight is required for ease of handling.

Before HDPE tubing became widely available and accepted for use in display fireworks mortar racks, Aluminum irrigation pipe was sometimes re-purposed for finale racks, I occasionally still see these being used in the Midwestern USA. It was lighter than steel guns & more durable than cardboard tubes.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 17:41

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
A great deal of pipe used for crop irrigation systems in USA is made of Aluminum- Light weight is required for ease of handling.

The farms I've worked on here in AUS also use aluminium irrigation pipes, 100's of meters can be laid out and snapped together in minutes. The down side was when the farmhand's would decouple and put it to the side where I couldn't see it from the tractor, every time I squashed one flat $90 would be takes out of my pay
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 18:01

I see it all the time as well here in Cali. even saw a few chunks left up in the mountains crumpled... meant to go back and saw that up but no. finding one that has been damaged isn't too hard if you just need a piece for some improvised equipment. accidents happen all the time, and like NedsHead says ^^^, grass quickly covers stray pieces and piles.

one a different note, I see aluminum here in the central valley lasts quite a while out in the elements, but on the coast, a different story all together. pitting and white corrosion are common and seem to happen fairly fast. salt air is a bitch.

most the construction we do near the ocean requires ever so cheap stainless screws or nails for everything from siding to hinge and window hardware. unless you are fond of rust streaks bleeding out of the paint
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 18:04

we boom spray over this way or flood irrigate. are you in the wine growing area NedsHead

Beginning construction of periodic table display
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 18:46

And just imagine if somebody poured NaOH drain cleaner into a drain that led to aluminum piping. If they were unaware of the danger, they'd be in for quite a nasty surprise...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-8-2015 at 05:07

No diddi, I spent a few years working the farms in Gatton QLD and then moved to S.A.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 25-8-2015 at 05:36

Aluminium is way too sensitive to alkaline or acidic waters.
It corrodes very fast by picking or when in contact with different metals.

It is used as fast pipe work for domestic houses now in Europa as ALPEX (moderately flexible Aluminium pipe coated Inside with transluscent polyethylen, and outside with white PVC; there is also an external larger annealed pipe blue or red to protect the pipe against building work shocks, pressure, and to ensure a little isolation in the case pipe passes into cement or plaster; the color also indicates if it is part of the cold or warm water circuit).
Water can be as hot as 90°C in those ALPEX pipes.

I have worked with iron-steel galva pipes and with ALPEX...ALPEX cost more since each connection piece is a special alloy with rubber joints... it is much lighter but it is hard to make 90° angle with it so there is always a curvature to take in account.

[Edited on 25-8-2015 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)

Go To Top