Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mettler AE-160 Analytical Balance for Sale
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 30-8-2015 at 17:03
Mettler AE-160 Analytical Balance for Sale

I'm posting this thread to see if anyone with a bit more experience with sensitive instruments than myself is interested in purchasing a Mettler AE-160 analytical balance for repair. I purchased it a while back, and it's not operating correctly, the details of the issue are shown in this thread. I tried to take it apart, but I don't feel confident in my abilities to reassemble if I go too far. I didn't see anything obviously wrong when I took it apart, but I only took the outer case off and left the inner mechanics alone. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the thread. Cosmetically, the balance is in great condition. All of the doors function properly, and there are no cracks in any of the glass or in the screen. See the pictures below.

I haven't tried much to sell it, but I thought I would extend the offer to the SciMad community. After carrier and shipping fees I paid $300 for this balance; I'm looking to recoup half of that, so I'm asking $150 + shipping(should be around $20-$25). Please note that this balance is being sold as is, and I will only ship to the continental United States. If you're interested, send me a U2U. Thanks.

DSCN0070.JPG - 792kB DSCN0080.JPG - 1011kB DSCN0089.JPG - 856kB

[Edited on 8-31-2015 by gdflp]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 13:55

Seeing as you're not willing to post outside the US, i can't buy it.

As it's Broken anyway, take it apart (take photos if you're unsure where stuff goes) and find the capacitive load cell.

Most likely is that it's open or shorted in some way, which could be as simple as electrolyte seepage (if there even is any electrolyte) or a teeny bit of metal in there.

[Edited on 31-8-2015 by aga]

gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 31-8-2015 at 18:15

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Seeing as you're not willing to post outside the US, i can't buy it.

I'd be happy to ship it to Spain, the issue becomes the shipping cost. I just ran a general quote, shipping to Spain would cost in the order of $400USD.

If no one is interested, I may try taking it apart again more in-depth to see if I can fix it, I just don't want to accidentally put it in a worse state than it is in now.

hive3
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 11:12
It might be in calibrate mode

On one side under the unit is a leaver that drops a 100g weight internally for calibration purposes. That leaver might a shifted during shipment. Try restarting with the leaver in both positions. I had the same problem when I received my unit. The 888888 ------- is the normal startup diagnostics. (the 8888888) shows all the digits are displaying properly) There is a fold out plaque under the front of the unit that goes through the calibration process. Its a great scale, hope you get it working.

[Edited on 1-9-2015 by hive3]

[Edited on 1-9-2015 by hive3]
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 11:23

I'm interested. What's the range? (so I don't have to look it up)

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
gdflp
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-9-2015 at 11:47

It has a 0 - 162g range with a 0.0001g resolution. Send me a U2U and we can work out the details if you're interested.

Go To Top