Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shopping for a respirator, help appreciated.
Octavian
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 03:59
Shopping for a respirator, help appreciated.

I've been shopping for an effective respirator but I'm also on a budget. I'd rather a full face one. Currently nothing on my "To do" list absolutely requires one however now I've got most of the basics for glassware and such I think it's time to focus on a few safety measures, for now that is going to be a dry chem fire extinguisher and a respirator. I'm pretty out of my depth concerning the later so I'm hoping the more knowledgeable members here could offer me some guidance.

I'm currently looking at this or something like it (eBay): http://tinyurl.com/noh7od5

I understand different filters are required for different dangers and plan to also have at least two different kinds of filters on hand. Just wanting to know peoples opinions on these. The branded 3M masks seem to be at least twice the price.

Thanks for any and all input :)

[Edited on 10-9-2015 by Octavian]
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 05:49

If there's one thing you want to spend money on, it's safety equipment. You don't want your last thought to be "Well, at least I saved a few dollars."

Having said that, I don't have any experience with gas masks. I do all such experiments outside, preferably on windy days and/or with a fan blowing. A mask wouldn't be a bad idea, I suppose, although it would probably alarm the neighbors.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 07:52

I haven't set it up yet to try it, but I am going to test out a supplied-air respirator hood (Google it).

They have excellent visibility, face fit is not an issue, and no filters are involved, are much cheaper than fancy filter respirators, and work with absolutely any vapor.

You need a blower to supply you with air, I got a 12V 3 CFM high static pressure fan from Digikey.

You are tethered to the blower and so cannot roam at will (although I am using a small sealed lead-acid battery, and so have a portable power source) but you are likely mostly using it at a work station, and immediate environs.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 09:34

Quote:
I am using a small sealed lead-acid battery

Do what ?!?!

You're blowing the air in from nearby ?

Isn't that precisely the air you do NOT want to breathe ?

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 09:47

I think he has the blower near by and the hose outside? or I guess he wouldnt be posting :D.......Or I feel a Darwin award is on the way :P

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 09:58

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Quote:
I am using a small sealed lead-acid battery

Do what ?!?!

You're blowing the air in from nearby ?

Isn't that precisely the air you do NOT want to breathe ?

"Nearby" as in a hose leading to the out-of-doors (if inside) or a good distance away if out-of-doors? Yes.

I thought this aspect was too obvious to even need explanation.

The high static pressure fan ensures that the air flow will be maintained no matter how long the hose run (even with an intake filter, as I plan to use). I calculate that with typical air supply tubing my little fan can keep a even airflow through a few hundred feet of tubing, but that is far more than necessary.

If you plan properly (so the tubing does not get caught on stuff), and have a long enough run of tubing, you could actually move around over a large area with this set-up.

[Edited on 10-9-2015 by careysub]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 10:56

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
I thought this aspect was too obvious to even need explanation.

It was not made clear, and the risk is that some cretin would go and rig up a positive pressure mask with the air intake strapped to his ass, seeing as it can run on a portable battery pack ...

careysub
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 11:01

The battery part of the set-up was so that I can put the fan/intake anywhere outside, and not need to have it close to a power outlet.

Strapping the fan to your back would not tether you to anything.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 11:29

(make the 'outside' part bold so casual readers get it)

Octavian
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-9-2015 at 00:45

MrHomeScientist, Thanks for the reply and you're dead on! My problem is that I can't afford a branded 3M mask (around 5x the price) so it's more a matter of going the cheaper route or not having one at all. Generally I do anything that could involve hazardous gases outside also but often the weather doesn't play along and I'm left either waiting for my next free day and hoping for clear skies, or doing the reaction/experiment somewhere where there is ok, but far from ideal, air flow. Not to mention sometimes unexpected things can happen. I would be buying branded filters since I wouldn't have much faith in a Chinese knock-off for those.

I was just hoping that someone here had some experience with these masks and could offer their personal opinions on them. I will do some more searching elsewhere and see what I can find on them before buying one. I'll report back if I find anything worth while since it might help someone else (who UTFSE) in the future :) .

Go To Top