Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Arsenic decontamination
lahthffire
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 08:19
Arsenic decontamination

If you had some aluminum, stainless steel, and ceramic (probably alumina) that had a very thin layer of arsenic containing contaminant, such as might be left on parts used in an ion implanter doping silicon wafers with arsenic, what would be your preferred method of removing and containing that arsenic? There's plenty of information on precipitating As from solutions, but what would be the best way to dissolve it into solution in the first place? (without harming the substrates)
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 08:52

I probably wouldn't try with the aluminium. Any acid or base will produce nascent hydrogen and turn the arsenic to arsine.:o

Depending on the total quantity of As and where I was living, I might consider a bonfire as the easy way, particularly for the ceramic. (I know you said containing, but if the quantity is small, it isn't worth it.)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 12:43

Aqua regia, followed by extended heating at high temp.

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2006 at 16:51

HNO3,medium strength I believe, boiling point for the ceramics. Avoid halides, as they can form somewhat volatile arsenic halides.

After that soak the pieces in several M NaOH, which will grab on to any arsenic oxides left on the surface. Combine the NaOH aq and the rinse water used to remove it with the HNO3 from the first step, carefully to avoid splattering from heat of reaction. Use standard methods to ppt the arsenic, adjust pH as needed.

There's some other ways, but I need to dig in books to check details.

[Edited on 2-8-2006 by not_important]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 10:54

I have a feeling that aqua regia doesn't quite meet the description of "without harming the substrates"
Bleach is use to dissolve the arsenic mirror produced by Marsh's test- might work here as it won't attack stainless or alumina very quickly.
Destroy the excess hypochlorite (alcohol, perhaps) then ppt the As as the sulphide (or better, don't, because if you need to ask this sort of thing you might be better off not working with arsenic).
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 14:49

I would tune the ion beam so it doesn't strike anything besides the intended silicon wafer...yup...less wasted beam besides...

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 2-8-2006 at 15:05

Alumina(at least the crucibles we use in the lab) are completly unharmed by aqua regia. I missed the Al and SS though, those definatly would react.

lahthffire
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 15:33

Yeah, the Al and SS are the hard part. What about nitric acid? The stainless can handle that. Won't the Al2O3 layer on the Al protect it from the HNO3? I think pure Al would be OK, but I'm talking about 6061 Al. Here's a list of the alloy composition:
http://www.aircraftmaterialsuk.com/data/aluminium/6061.html
Would HNO3 dissolve arsenic?
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 17:01

It takes pretty strong HNO3, reactions starts with the 50% acid.

Better might be alkaline hydrogen peroxide, maybe 0.5 molar on the base, or persulfate solution. If you have time, soaking in ammonium nitrate solution for days to several weeks should do it.
cranium
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-8-2006 at 17:14

The best way to remove the arsenic is to wipe it up with a cloth with distilled water only on it.

[Edited on 10-8-2006 by cranium]

Go To Top