Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ether and DCM, OTC
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 23:31

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Well, I'm still waiting for my dichromate order to arrive, but I did have a breakthrough - I let the DCM sit for a few days on a larger quantity of CaCl2 than I usually use, and the tail end of the run came over at just under 40 C - so it looks like dehydrating it does work for removing the methanol... my CaCl2 is likely not completely anhydrous....

That is not the CaCl2 dehydrating the alcohol out of the DCM, it is more that CaCl2 is reacting with the alcohol.

Good point... it's looks likely from here (and someone who knows more about calcium chemistry than I do, please feel free to speak up) that dehydration is a competing process and CaCl2 monohydrate may be tremendously less effective at removing methanol than anhydrous CaCl2.

[Edited on 7-11-2015 by JJay]
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 07:56

Yes, the reason for this is that the calcium chloride is not reacting with water or methanol, rather it is complexing with both of them. If a calcium chloride molecule has already complexed with two water molecules, it is unable to complex with any more molecules of either water or methanol(Technically it does form a hexahydrate, but this is reasonably unstable; I prefer to assume that it can only form a dihydrate when calculating how much drying agent is needed). Alternatively, if a calcium chloride molecule has complexed with two methanol molecules, it is unable to absorb any more water or methanol. I could believe that anhydrous calcium chloride would much more readily absorb methanol molecules than calcium chloride monohydrate.

JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2015 at 11:16

Perhaps I will try further dehydrating the calcium chloride... that looks like a messy procedure....
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-11-2015 at 02:51

Drying the CaCl2 at 300 C produced very little physical change in the CaCl2, but allowing the DCM to stand over a large quantity of CaCl2 for a few days appears to have removed nearly all of the methanol. I'm still waiting on getting some dichromate to perform a more conclusive test.

I've noticed a fairly disturbing trend in that that every time I distill DCM I have a nosebleed the next day, so today I wore a respirator during the smelly parts and added 1% ethanol to the final product.

I'm thinking about distilling some ether as soon as I find a suitable container for storing it.

[Edited on 11-11-2015 by JJay]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top