Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Triphenylphosphine Synthesis?
Agari
Banned

Mood: Lowest Oxidation State

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 10:59
Triphenylphosphine Synthesis?

While doing reading on Carbon Tetrabromide,I came across a compund called Triphenylphosphine. After reading about Triphenylphosphine, I came across an article that states that it could be used the Mitsunobu Reaction,the Appel Reaction, deoxygenation, and sulfonation. I am more interested in the first 2 reactions,so my question is: How can I synthesize triphenylphosphine?
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 11:05

You can buy 100 g of it on eBay for $28 including shipping.

[Edited on 24-10-2015 by careysub]
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 11:07

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  

100 grams for 428$ is affordable yet does not appear to be a cost-effective trade-off. I created this thread asking for synthesis methods,please don't tell me to buy it(Unless it's the only method of obtaining it).
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 11:14

You can synthesize triphenylphosphine by the reaction of phosphorus trichloride with phenylmagnesium bromide. I believe there is a procedure somewhere on this forum.

Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 11:18

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
You can synthesize triphenylphosphine by the reaction of phosphorus trichloride with phenylmagnesium bromide. I believe there is a procedure somewhere on this forum.

Can you please provide a link?
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by Agari  

100 grams for 428$ is affordable yet does not appear to be a cost-effective trade-off. I created this thread asking for synthesis methods,please don't tell me to buy it(Unless it's the only method of obtaining it).

The wise words of Dan Vizine (I think) turn this around, don't make something unless you can't buy it (due to cost, lack of sources, of not wanting to attract attention) - unless it is really the synthetic exercise you are after. If you just want it to employ in some other reactions, buying it is the best idea.

Nobody cares if you buy triphenylphosphine (to the best of my knowledge) - it is cheap and readily available.

But it appears extremely costly and difficult to make in the home lab, requiring reagents like phosphorous trichloride AND phenylmagnesium AND sodium metal. Sodium azide is also used in other methods.

A lot of chemicals are like this, easy and cheap in industrial scale processes all but impossible at home.
Agari
Banned

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 11:23

Quote: Originally posted by Agari  

The wise words of Dan Vizine (I think) turn this around, don't make something unless you can't buy it (due to cost, lack of sources, of not wanting to attract attention) - unless it is really the synthetic exercise you are after. If you just want it to employ in some other reactions, buying it is the best idea.

Nobody cares if you buy triphenylphosphine (to the best of my knowledge) - it is cheap and readily available.

But it appears extremely costly and difficult to make in the home lab, requiring reagents like phosphorous trichloride AND phenylmagnesium AND sodium metal. Sodium azide is also used in other methods.

A lot of chemicals are like this, easy and cheap in industrial scale processes all but impossible at home.

Oh lol,I thought that your price tag read 428$. I would like to synthesize it as a challenge,but if it can't be done,I may just simply buy it.
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-10-2015 at 12:24

If you want to do it for funsies, buy the PPh3 and make a small amount of SbPh3. Antimony halides are much easier to make and handle (and obtain starting materials for) than phosphorus halides. The product, unfortunately doesn't do Wittigs and similar reactions but can be quaternized and turned into a ylide.
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-10-2015 at 00:01

Trifenil-foszfin.bmp - 900kB

Grignard process (easy), you can translate with google: http://forum.lambdasyn.org/index.php/topic,2082.0.html

Indrustial pathway with molten sodium (need good practice):

http://v3.espacenet.com/origdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=CA1123460&...

[Edited on 25-10-2015 by Aqua-regia]

[Edited on 25-10-2015 by Aqua-regia]
krishna
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2015 at 17:17

Melt Sodium metal in xylene under vigorous stirring and add phosphorus trichloride. It forms

Go To Top