Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Isoparaffin C12-14
AaronBodle
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2015 at 17:50
Isoparaffin C12-14

Im trying to better understand what certain chemicals in the compound and polishes I use for automotive detailing do, one of them is Soltrol 170 Isoparaffin C-12-14. Can someone explain what it does?
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 19-11-2015 at 22:36

Think of it as a liquid wax that can also carry fine particles in the 1200 grit range and act as a lubricant. In effect exactly what you need to polish a surface and leave that waxy shine. It will dissolve other waxes of greater viscosity and evaporate leaving a coating of the thicker wax. The fine grit particles are the abrasive that speeds removal of the oxide layer and other things built up on the surface to be polished without leaving visible scratches. Depending upon the product there could also be various cleaning agents in the formula.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
AaronBodle
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2015 at 05:45

Quote: Originally posted by IrC  
Think of it as a liquid wax that can also carry fine particles in the 1200 grit range and act as a lubricant. In effect exactly what you need to polish a surface and leave that waxy shine. It will dissolve other waxes of greater viscosity and evaporate leaving a coating of the thicker wax. The fine grit particles are the abrasive that speeds removal of the oxide layer and other things built up on the surface to be polished without leaving visible scratches. Depending upon the product there could also be various cleaning agents in the formula.

Thank you IrC for responding! So my understanding of it than is that the Isoparaffin is the acting lubricant in the polish? I know the aluminum oxide act as the polishing abrasives and the Shelltrol 43 and 60 Mineral Spirits would be the cleaning agents. This picture is the vehicle I spent 3 weeks polishing to a high degree.

download (1).png - 4.8MBdownload.png - 4.8MB
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 20-11-2015 at 08:35

3 weeks driving it would be more fun.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 20-11-2015 at 09:16

Oooohhh, shiny. Really shiny.

Personally I prefer an abrasive of fine native clay and small rocks, with water as a lubricant and a solvent. This gets applied at high speed, followed by some scrubbing by various weeds and bushes, and finally a nice groundwater rinse.

Jeep1.jpg - 1.2MBJeep2.jpg - 831kB

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
22-12-2015 at 08:13

Go To Top