Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Analysis of Intermolecular Hydrogen bonding.
qeezur
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 18:28
Analysis of Intermolecular Hydrogen bonding.

Hi guys,

I synthesized a molecule which has two primary amine groups. the molecule was physically applied to a polymeric substrate with multiple polar sites. I want to analyze the H-bonding behaviour between the vicinal amine groups of my molecule and the polar regions of the substrate ? what tool should i use to confirm the intermolecular H-bonding between the amine sites of my molecule and polar regions (protic or aprotic) of the substrate ?

Some suggest NOESY and others are saying things about what IR can do in this regard. So my Question is what can be some simple model or tool to use for confirmation of H-bonding.

Someone please help !
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 20:58

NMR, of course. Besides NOE, you might also be able to look at changes in T1 before and after disruption (say with salt). FTIR can also be used to look at discrete H-bonded bands.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed034p304

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/app.21775/abstrac...

Or, if you can measure viscosity, you should observe a drop if you are disrupting inter/intra chain H-bonds via addition of salt. Also, depending on the nature of your polyelectrolyte, pH may also be adjusted to give a similar effect.

We also used 6N urea to disrupt H-bonds in biomolecules to disrupt quaternary structures.

O3

[Edited on 11-12-2015 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
qeezur
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2015 at 21:44

Many thanks for the informative post. I have few confusions ...

What would be the suitable chaotropic agent for disruption of both inter and intramolecular H-bonds of vicinal diamines ?

Can IR spectra be taken of such solution carrying chaotropic agent (lets say a salt) and our two molecule of interest that i want to confirm H-Bonding interaction between?

Go To Top