Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: decarboxylation of malic acid to malonic acid.
deadpool
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2015 at 20:19
decarboxylation of malic acid to malonic acid.

Anyone interested in malonic acid has probably seen Magpie synthesis using nitric acid and propanediol 1,3 (This use to be sold as a non-toxic antifreeze by bright bay but still tough go get).

http://www.bottompaintstore.com/polar-preferred-marine-anti-...

However, seeing how this route is still somewhat pricey due to the difficultly in getting that particular isomer, I'm exploring alternative methods. I've seen that it can be produced by the decarboxylation of malic acid with potassium permanganate (or likely a chromic acid) I have done this reaction and liberated carbon dioxide but I've always been confused by the stoichiometry regarding the oxidation states of magnesium and the quantities that should be used for this reaction. Moreover, its rather difficult to differentiate unreacted malic acid with malonic acid, not to mention its a bugger to dehydrate :mad: I'm still learning, and was wondering if any chemistry guru's would have any incite if this is feasible?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 25-12-2015 at 20:41

I suggest you read at least the first page of this thread, especially the long comment of garage chemist:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1600

1,3 propanediol is now available OTC from MakingCosmeticsInc.

[Edited on 26-12-2015 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
deadpool
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2015 at 21:42

I apologies I didn't realize magpie already talked about this method in another post, thanks for the link

Go To Top