Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Check this out
cranium
Unregistered

[*] posted on 23-8-2006 at 07:35
Check this out

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/07/980701082033.ht...

Check this out!
Wasn't futurenobellaureate right about that? From his post in detritus, I can see that he meant that you can attach sodium chloride ions to a monomer and that would allow for the plastic to change shape, and he was correct.

[Edited on 23-8-2006 by cranium]

jokull
National Hazard

Mood: Ice glassed

[*] posted on 23-8-2006 at 15:39

Hi

Dear cranium I confess that when I read futurenobellaureate's topic about his so-called polymer I felt quite curious...

However I disagree a bit with you, let me explain myself:
You say that he meant to attach ions to a monomer, it is false, he never did such a suggestion. He clearly says that you can obtain a polymer by means of a procedure which is eloquently described.

I wonder if someone has already read the Science's paper cited in "http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/07/980701082033.htm" If someone has, please attach a copy of the article in order to read it and so we all could know its details.

Since it is well known that we can obtain several polymers with interesting electrical, optical and even magnetical properties, I would like to invite futurenobellaureate to explain his original proposal in depth.

Best regards
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 23-8-2006 at 19:41
Reference Material........

Giant Electrostriction and Relaxor Ferroelectric Behavior in Electron-Irradiated Poly(vinylidene fluoride-trifluoroethylene) Copolymer
Q. M. Zhang,* Vivek Bharti, X. Zhao
Science, June26,1998

Abstract
An exceptionally high electrostrictive response (;4 percent) was observed in electronirradiated poly(vinylidene fluoride-trifluoroethylene) [P(VDF-TrFE)] copolymer. The material exhibits typical relaxor ferroelectric behavior, suggesting that the electron irradiation breaks up the coherent polarization domain (all-trans chains) in normal ferroelectric P(VDF-TrFE) copolymer into nanopolar regions (nanometer-size, all-trans chains interrupted by trans and gauche bonds) that transform the material into a relaxor ferroelectric.

The expanding and contracting of these polar regions under external fields, coupled with a large difference in the lattice strain between the polar and nonpolar phases, generate an ultrahigh strain response.

Attachment: Giant Electrostriction and Relaxor .pdf (317kB)
This file has been downloaded 643 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-8-2006 at 00:53

Quote:
Originally posted by cranium
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/07/980701082033.ht...

Check this out!
Wasn't futurenobellaureate right about that? From his post in detritus, I can see that he meant that you can attach sodium chloride ions to a monomer and that would allow for the plastic to change shape, and he was correct.

[Edited on 23-8-2006 by cranium]

Oh, this kills me. First of all, you ARE futurenobellaureate. Reckless and 'mad' as any and all may be, we aren't idiots.
Second of all, Poly (vinylidene fluoride-trifluoroethylene) is very, very, VERY different from combining table salt, hydrogen, and carbon dioxide, or, as you so eloquently wrote it:
Quote:
NaCl -> Na + Cl
H2 + CO2 -> H2CO2
Na + Cl + H2CO2 ->NaH2CO2Cl

Its not that fact that you don't know much of anything that is the problem. Everyone starts that way. It's that you try to pretend like you do.
Read some chemistry textbooks, lurk the forum, take a class, but please stop wasting everyone's time.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 24-8-2006 at 02:07

The mods probably can see whether cranium = futurenobellaureate or not. If both accounts post from a machine with the same IP-address that is strong evidence for this hypothesis. But ethan_c, I share your feeling. It is just too much of a coincidence that a very new member digs up some old thread from detritus and defends what is posted in that.

[Edited on 24-8-06 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-8-2006 at 02:21

I already warned two times that Cranium = Futurenobellaureate in two of his threads he started for his distinctive trolling or whatever that thing he does can be called. I can't see how there could be any doubts about his identity.
His discourse and style is completely identical to that of Futurenobellaureate. His trolling technique (or what appears as such) is completely the same and pretty much unlike what I've seen before. He started posting soon after Futurenobellaureate stopped. He is apologetic to a Futurenobellaureate’s post that ended in detritus for very good reasons. His new nickname is in the same context as his previous one (Cranium = big brains = Futurenobellaureate).
Now, does one need to check the IP to realize this is the same person?
I don’t mind his posts. I find them amusing. What I find concerning is that many members fell in his traps and somehow humiliate themselves. Feeding the trolls is really not something that should be encouraged in a scientific forum or not?

Go To Top