Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonia from Amm Sulf - is a base needed or just heat?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 22:05
Ammonia from Amm Sulf - is a base needed or just heat?

I was reading a few articles on ammonia production from ammonium sulfate and most stated that a base was needed such as NaOH or CaOH (I guess KOH would work as well?). The two are supposed to be mixed and NH3 + H2O + NaSO4/CaSO4/KSO4 would be produced. I'm guessing that the two could also be mixed in water to produce the reaction, but then I guess the ammonia would be absorbed in the water??

Would heating the Amm Sulf, not in the prescence of water, produce NH3 as well - with the result being Amm BiSulf + NH3? It seems that with either method there is a byproduct of an alkali sulfate or the bisulfate. The heating method should only produce 1/2 the ammonia as the other method, but as the other method produces water at the same time, how much ammonia is going to be absorbed by the water that is produced or the water in which the reaction is taking place?

So it seems that the heating method might be the best route for ammonia gas production. Is this correct or am I not understanding something here?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 18-1-2016 at 22:33

I'm not going to answer all the questions you have asked. Just to say that making ammonia is shown clearly here. I see little reason to deviate from this method.

[edit] fixed coding for link.

[Edited on 19-1-2016 by j_sum1]

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 09:44

Quote:
quote] . . . how much ammonia is going to be absorbed by the water that is produced or the water in which the reaction is taking place?

'Not a fan of yt videos, myself ─ but you need to know that what you're doing is simply displacing a weak base (NH3) by mixing with a stronger base!

The solution will be saturated and its pH too high for ammonia to redissolve . . .

pesco
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2016 at 22:54

Hi,

reviving old thread :)

I have plenty of Cu(OH)2 and (NH4)2SO4 and was thinking to use it.
Apart from availability of Cu(OH)2 added (BIG) bonus would be very useful to me byproduct -> CuSO4

The reaction (on paper) is :
(NH4)2SO4 + Cu(OH)2 -> CuSO4 + 2 NH3 + 2 H2O

Obviously to drive off NH3 would need to apply heat.

Knowing that Copper and Ammonia enjoy complexation would I get any issues because of it ?
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 31-3-2016 at 09:48

Yes, you will get a complex not copper sulfate. But sufficient heat should resolve the complex as ammonia is volatile while copper oxide and sulfuric acid are not. But copper sulfate will decompose at red heat so you have to heat it just the right amount.

Go To Top