Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Contaminants within solution of NH4NO3?
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 12:07
Contaminants within solution of NH4NO3?

Hello SM!

After months of eyeing it, I finally decided to extract and recrystallize the NH4NO3 from a ~6 year old unused ice pack I had. Yesterday I opened it up, and I studied the beige pellets of AN within. I dissolved them in around 150mL of tap water, and the solution remain beige/light brown, even after filtering. I left it on a warm surface to evaporate, and after an hour or two, a white substance could be found on the sides of the beaker, and a few(3 or 4) small particles, colored not unlike cardboard, were floating around the liquid. Today, some of the particles became larger, and more appeared, and more of the white substance on the sides of the beaker, were seen, as shown below:

L5TveMUh.jpg - 86kB

Any idea of what these particles are?

EDIT: I may have posted this in the incorrect forum section, please forgive me.

[Edited on 1/19/2016 by Velzee]

[Edited on 1/19/2016 by Velzee]

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 14:04

Most likely, it is iron contamination.

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
Mabus
Wiki Master

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 14:21

It's usually an anti-caking agent. No idea what compound. Cold packs tend to have them, like the one from NurdRage's potassium nitrate video.
Though normally it should've been removed during filtration. Could be iron or some dye.

Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 19-1-2016 at 14:54

Any ideas on removing the impunities? There's quite a lot, and it goes right through the filter paper.

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
20-1-2016 at 04:28

Go To Top