Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dimecrotic acid
KaliyaK
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

cool.gif posted on 12-2-2016 at 09:46
Dimecrotic acid

Hi everyone! I have some Dimecrotic acid and i want to do something with it! Didn't found much information online but the molecular shape seemed nice to work with! My goal is to make some phenol based compound and then make some TNP for fun! Any ideas on how to get rid of the acrylic acid?
BTW i´m new in organics...

Here's some info:
http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB494...
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/6445007#section=To...
MeshPL
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2016 at 10:06

Whanna have fun;)?
1. Osonolyse
2. Do reductive amination
3. Inject into blood system/eat/smoke (whichever you like most)
4. Test for psychoactive effects on you :cool:

But jokes aside, if you want to try something that doesn't involve making potential drugs (and you definitely should) here is an idea (not guaranteed to work) for removing "acrylic acid" side chain:
1. oxidise. use something strong like KMnO4
2. decarboxylate

Whanna make TNP? I'm afraid you need phenol, this compound will not do any good in such synthesis.
KaliyaK
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2016 at 12:33

hahaha, i don't want to go all breaking bad on this acid, but nice sense of humor ;)
Btw, is there a nice source of phenol based compounds? I want to get into phenol chemistry, but Toluene is rare, aspirin is expensive, i´m trying paracetamol but would like a better source, is there a way i could use naphthalene? or other readily available source?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 12-2-2016 at 12:46

Phenol on ebay . . .

MeshPL
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-2-2016 at 04:24

If you have acces to benzene you can try Fenton's reagent to convert it to phenol. But you will need H2O2 and the reaction isn't very easy or selective.

Phenol is something you pretty much have to buy, there is aspirin route and some others, but they are not great.

BTW, do you mean phenol or aromatic chemistry? Because I'd consider toluene a not-so-good precursor for phenol (technically you can do Ètard reaction, than Bamberger reaction), paracetamol is also not very good (hydrolyse, than convert the amine to diazo, than reduce with H3PO2), while naphtalene is pretty much impossible. Aspirin is by far the best or at easiest to work with precursor for phenol.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
13-2-2016 at 08:33
KaliyaK
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-2-2016 at 08:37

yes, i have acces to benzene and 50% H2O2.

C6H6 + FeSO4 + H2O2 → C6H5OH

How does the reaction go?

I mean aromatic chemistry, starting from phenol.
MeshPL
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-2-2016 at 11:44

Well, if you have no other route to phenol, Fenton's reagent will add hydroxyls to benzene. You could just mix (or stir constantly) benzene and H2O2 and add FeSO4 as a catalyst. It would be a good idea to keep solution slightly acidic (use buffer?) and to use an exces of benzene (makes bihydroxylation less likely)

This reaction is not a very good way to make phenol.

Oh wait a minuta, I forget, you can chlorinate benzene to chlorobenzene and add it to hot and very conc. NaOH. Also you can diazotise aniline than hydrolyse the diazo compound. Both ways you'll get phenol, but neither chlorobenzene nor aniline are super easy (aniline route is long, chlorobenzene is not very easy to make).

[Edited on 18-2-2016 by MeshPL]

Go To Top