Printable Version  
Author: Subject: need help with synthesis of aromatic ethers and thio ethers
monochemist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 01:20
need help with synthesis of aromatic ethers and thio ethers

Hi,

I need help with the synthesis methods of diphenyl ethers and thio ethers, or phenoxyphenol and its thio analogue, is it possible to prepare it using diazonium salt and then coupling. what would be the conditions of the reaction? as using diazonium salt will enable the use of substituted rings in the reaction.

thanks,
bye
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 03:20

SYNTHESIS OF AROMATIC ETHERS UNDER MICROWAVE IRRADIATION IN DRY MEDIA.
DARIUSZ BOGDAL*, JAN PIELICHOWSKI, and ADAM BORON

http://www.cyf-kr.edu.pl/~pcbogdal/phenol/

Abstract:
Under microwave irradiation a number of phenols react remarkably fast with a number of primary alkyl halides to give aromatic ethers. The procedure is alternative to those which rely on the use of dipolar aprotic solvents, sodium, sodium hydride, sodium amide and several procedure that rely on "standard" PTC methods

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by solo]

Attachment: SYNTHESIS OF AROMATIC ETHERS UNDER MICROWAVE IRRADIATION IN DRY MEDIA..pdf (75kB)
This file has been downloaded 1134 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6-9-2006 at 06:16

Solo, you misunderstood the question. He is asking about the synthesis of diaryl ethers which obviously can’t be made by alkylation.

I don’t think diazonium salts couple with phenols to give diaryl ethers, they give diazo compounds instead. At the moment I can remember any method except for the Ullman (aka Goldberg) reaction of phenolates/thiophenolates with iodo- or bromoaryls.
monochemist
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-9-2006 at 05:23

Exactly Nicodem, but thank s for both of you for the contribution, but concerning the coupling with diazonium, I think it is possible as I have found a chemical compound which is used as a pesticide; it is based on a thio ether and on one of the two rings bears three chlorine atoms and also I found a compound which is considered as the intermediate and the later was formed as a diazonium compound which confirm my view that using diaonium salts and then coupling we can reach to a multi-substituted (halogenated) di aryl ethers, but using the Ullman reaction is very difficult to control the substitution position and also I do not know what would be the situation for the yield.

I hope someone can help, plssssssssss

Go To Top