Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercuric Chloride & Copper Metal - What to expect?
LifeisElemental
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-5-2016 at 09:17
Mercuric Chloride & Copper Metal - What to expect?

Hi!

Found this on Wiki:
Quote:

Copper(I) chloride was first prepared by Robert Boyle in the mid-seventeenth century[4] from mercury(II) chloride ("Venetian sublimate") and copper metal: HgCl2 + 2 Cu → 2 CuCl + Hg

This sounds like it would be quite visually interesting! Does anyone have an idea what to expect and if it is worth doing? I am pretty curious as to if you'd see Mercury begin to pool around the copper metal as you would for the comparable reaction in silver nitrate.

gboneu
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2016 at 08:20

Hello, yes i made these experiment before, but it's not so surprising, i had to heat it up to get a faster CuCl deposit. And using mercury compounds is always difficult because of their toxicity. Plus the mercuric chloride needs sometimes a little bit of HCl to get the solution cristal clear, this get's some of the CuCl dissolved. In my case it precipitated as a powder and not as crystals, if you want crystals you have to deal with Concentrated solution in HCl and evaporate it, with an inter atmosphere (Like N2 or CO2) and it's a pain in the ass --

Go To Top