Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pyrophoric FeO ?
mericad193724
Hazard to Others

Mood: why do you care?

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 17:18
Pyrophoric FeO ?

I am trying to get my hands on some FeO (no...its not for thermite). I found one method of producing it from Rochelle Salt and FeCl3.

Rochelle Salt would be made by Na2CO3 and Potassium Hydrogen Tartrate, both household. The Rochelle Salt would be mixed with the FeCl3 and a black FeO precipitate should result:

Fe 3+(aq) + C4H4O6 2-(aq) + 6H2O -> FeO + 2OH- + 4CO2 + 7H2O

(got this from a book)

The problem I suspect is having a very fine FeO precipitated which will be pyrophoric and Very easily ignite. Will this be a concern when using this method of preparation?

Mericad
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 17:54

Why should it ignite? What's the delta H from FeO to Fe2O3? I don't think this would produce much energy, at least not enough to ignite.

Are you sure you don't mean pyrophoric Fe powder?
This is obtained from the decomposition of iron II oxalate, i.e. FeC2O4 --> Fe + 2 CO2.
This is pyrophoric.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
mericad193724
Hazard to Others

Mood: why do you care?

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 18:26

Chemoleo...I have a book called "Visualizing chemistry: An Investigation for Teachers" ... it is basically a collection of chemistry demonstrations, one of them involves heating iron oxalate to decompose into FeO with release of CO and CO2. The FeO, which in a fine powder, will rapidly oxidize and "burn." I think the same will happen if I made it from Rochelle Salt and FeCl3, no?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 20-9-2006 at 20:37

You're most likely making ferrous ferrite, i.e., magnetite, which is very stable (especially being spinel form) and melts at white heat before it decomposes (unlike actual FeO, which undergoes a transition 500~800C (IIRC; Brauer) to 4FeO = Fe + Fe3O4.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top