Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonia solution storage help
CalAm
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 13-7-2016 at 09:07
Ammonia solution storage help

I recently purchased 5 liters of 25% Ammonia, but when i received the box i could already see the cardboard was soaked and stunk. It seems they posted the bottle with a hole in the lid for venting pressure and roughly 500ml's had leaked out of it during postage, however i would like to know if it would be safe to cover the hole so it does not smell as badly when being stored ?

I was thinking of putting some cling-wrap across the top and screwing the lid back on so it could pop if it the pressure was to much, other wise i have some parafilm or thick walled reagent bottles but no inserts on the screw lids.

I tried the search engine and i couldn't seem to find anything to help in this situation.
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 13-7-2016 at 11:16

Yes, it's perfectly fine to cover it. If you're worried about the ammonia causing problems with the cling wrap or whatever you cover it with, just google "plastic chemical compatibility sheet" and find the cover material of choice (that is, if you choose a plastic). Usually it's best to seal it tight, store it somewhere cool, and just open it every now and again if you're worried about pressure. If you don't keep the fumes in, the concentration of ammonia will slowly decrease, making it progressively harder to get a good use out of.

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A

Go To Top