Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ammonium dichromate
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 11:25
Ammonium dichromate

I have heared that ammonium dichromate can detonate. Is that true? If yes could it be detonated with out a boster (just with a detonator) and what is the velocity of detonation?
Also could be used as a replacement for ammonium nitrate in ANFO and ANNM?

DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 13:47

Ammonium dichromate has zero ob so it cannot replace AN in ANFO. It can be used with Nitromethane but only becausse NM has its on Oxygen. I don't think you would gain much by using Ammonium Dichromate with nm though....

[Edited on 14-10-2006 by DeAdFX]
Nitrojet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-10-2006 at 07:35

Yes! actually Ammonium dichromate is a detonable explosive. However, like ammonium nitrate it needs a strong primer for effective detonation. When initiated with 10gr Picric Acid, it only partially detonates, but strong charges of PETN can effectively prime the explosive with complete propagation of the detonation wave through the column of the explosive. Confinement also plays a crucial role in complete detonation of Ammonium Dichromate. due to Zero oxygene balance no fuel additive can be introduced into the compound thus making a class of explosives like ANFO based on this material. Although addition of small amounts of magnesium powder to Ammonium Dichromate can transmute it into an explosive exceptionally serviceable in Pipe bombs!! upon contact with flame it burns very fiercly which is absolutely different from the smouldering-type reaction of the salt itself resembling a volcanic eruption. Also addition of Mg to (NH4)2Cr2O7 can greatly facilitate the ease and completeness of detonation. Hence, a binary mixture of Ammonium Dichromate/Mg with 80/20 Wt. ratio, can be effectively detonated with 15gr PETN as a booster charge. Regarding Explosive Performance,Ammonium dichromate has no special superiority over Ammonium Nitrate. it is of much higher cost and also labeled as Mutagenic and Carcinogenic! So You can easily ignore it in face of the much powerful and yet much cheaper NH4NO3!
Ammonium Trichromate (NH4)3Cr3O10, which can be easily prepared by treating Ammonium Dichromate with Nitric Acid ( 55%) possesses more interesting properties.
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 06:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitrojet
Yes! actually Ammonium dichromate is a detonable explosive. Although addition of small amounts of magnesium powder to Ammonium Dichromate can transmute it into an explosive exceptionally serviceable in Pipe bombs!! upon contact with flame it burns very fiercly which is absolutely different from the smouldering-type reaction of the salt itself resembling a volcanic eruption. Also addition of Mg to (NH4)2Cr2O7 can greatly facilitate the ease and completeness of detonation. Hence, a binary mixture of Ammonium Dichromate/Mg with 80/20 Wt. ratio, can be effectively detonated with 15gr PETN as a booster charge. Regarding Explosive

Can magnesium be replaced by aluminum?

Nitrojet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 11:12

Crystalline Ammonium dichromate in its pure state can not be ignited easily upon contact with open flame. It should be piled into the shape of a small dome with a cavity at the top to hold a cotton wool previously soaked in Alcohol. Ignition of alcohol can generate enough heat to initiate a decomposition reaction inside the mass of the Ammonium salt. Once it commenced, the reaction front proceeds very slowly through the bulk of the unreacted material in a rather smouldering fashion than deflagration. Water vapor, gaseous nitrogen and chromic oxide are the major decomposition products. The reaction is not however highly exothermic for its heat of decomposition is reported to be 310kcal/kg. When being ignited unconfined, conductivity is the main mechanism of heat transfer through the column of the material. The heat front actually propagates from particle to particle and such a phenomenon alongside with a relatively low heat of reaction are the main reasons for slow rate of reaction which in many cases also leave a portion of material unreacted. Addition of atomized magnesium and aluminum hence can greatly improve the coefficient of heat transfer because of their high heat conductivity. On the other hand ignition of metal powders can generate immense heat which yet further enhances the rate of decomposition reactions. Part of the metallic ingredient consumes atmospheric oxygen for its ignition when the mixtures ignited in open. But the highly reductive metals can also react with water vapor and chromic oxide to reduce them into gaseous hydrogen and metallic chromium respectively. I always can find Chromium globules amongst the reaction reside especially when the mixture contains Aluminum. Needless to say that, such binary or ternary mixtures can be employed in confinement to manifest their great explosive power. As I mentioned earlier they have a self-sustaining reaction even in total absence of atmospheric oxygen so the zero oxygen balance of Ammonium Dichromate is not a problem. When such a charge is fired unconfined, the reaction zone propagates again based on heat transfer but here the major transfer mechanism is Convection. While the linear rate of reaction does not exceed a few centimeters per second in conductivity-based heat transfers, convection can increase the reaction rate to the extent that it exceeds the Mach number or sound velocity at the given conditions. Addition of metals can again improve the rate of reaction, this time merely because of the great thermal gradient resulted from their immense heat of oxidation. The drawback associated with these mixtures is their relatively low gas yield which can be effectively overcome by addition of certain percentage of ammonium nitrate.
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-12-2007 at 16:04

Yesterday I got some ammonium dichromate from a friend and I tried to ignite it. It burns very nicely. Like a volcano. In the next few days I will try different mixtures with it and report the results.

Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2007 at 05:18

Today I tried. Mixed with AL powder it burned like always. Al added no effect. With AL and S it burned like with AL only. The difference was that when the remaining green powder that was left after burning would ignite in spots after being turned around. With AN and Al it also burned very slowly like always only white smoke was produced from he decomposing AN. The Al powder was made from a failed Al casting and an angle grinder. The ingredients were mixed in a mortar and pestle.

[Edited on 28-12-2007 by Zinc]

Nitrojet
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-1-2008 at 03:22

I think the Aluminum powder which you prepared from grinder is not of adequate fineness. Try to use Aluminum Atomized which is in the form of a very fine powder. Mix it with Ammonium Dichromate in 20/80 ratio.

When ignited in open, the mixture burns slowly, however, it behaves entirely different when ignited under strong confinement. I got some 20 pieces from an elbow (made from cast iron) within which I put 15 gr of the mixture and then fired by means of a hand-made safety fuse. Nevertheless I think such mixtures has no privilege over an ordinary chlorate or nitrate mixture.

Go To Top