Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Milk Powder
lipiman
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

smile.gif posted on 2-11-2006 at 18:08
Milk Powder

Right now I am having a problem with milk powder.

I have a full cream whole milk powder (not branded) with prices about USD 2.6/kg. Meanwhile in Indonesia's market, there is a branded milk powder that sell only USD 1 per 300 grams.

If I want to sell my full cream whole milk powder with branded, I will lose the competition in Indonesia' market, because USD 2.6/kg not include box, aluminium paper, tax, etc.

Does anyone can help me to give any suggestion for reducing on my expenses? For example: Is there anykind of filler or something that I can add to my full cream whole milk powder so the prices can be reduced but the nutrition fact still high?

Thanks before.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 2-11-2006 at 18:12

Uhhh how about...more milk powder?! This is certainly an esoteric question for a chemistry, not food product, forum.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2006 at 01:36

I suspect that adding fillers to food products would result in the product not being able to be called by its original name - it's no longer whole "milk powder" but rather "milk powder with other junk". Even with lableing might even get into legal trouble, as some areas have restrictions on what can be done to certain foodstuffs.

It might be possible to blend with defatted milk powder, if that is less expensive, to get a 'low fat' milk powder. That would leave other nutritional characteristics with little change. However the viability of that, even if the non-fat milk is cheaper, depends on the public perception of and desire for a reduced fat milk powder.

Sounds like you either have a packaging problem, reduce the costs there, or you have a volume problem, you're not buying the bulk milk powder on a large enogh scale. Neither of those is even food science issue as such.
Baphomet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-11-2006 at 16:56

If your customers don't mind added sweetness then you could pad it out with sucrose or dextrose which are very cheap.
For a bland filler you need to use a polysacchartide (starch).
As not_important said, you're probably not buying on a scale that will get you a wholesale price. Ask suppliers about their volume breaks i.e. what minimum order quantities are required to get the various discounts that may be offered.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 21-11-2006 at 17:46

OK. Let me see if I have this straight (the post requires some translation):

You have milk powder, $2.6US/kg
They have milk powder, 1$/300g.

This means that your milk powder is 3.85 cents/g and that theirs is 3 cents/g. Correct? Then, you are trying to make up ~0.85 cents on your stuff?

I am agreeing with the others here on two major points:

1. DO NOT "cut" the milk powder with anything! (kind of ironic, really). Depending on where you are this can have grave legal consequences in both civil and criminal court.

2. Do re-negotiate your bulk deal to come closer to 3 cents/g.

Also, try to improve your marketing (or, find out if their product, despite its "spiffy" package, in is some way "cut" itself to lower costs... (The Chemistry part!:D).

Best of luck to you,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
gil
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 13:23

in my side of the planet : 1) cost 2.6xG. 2) cost 3.3333~xG.
O3 check your math!

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 13:39

That's just crazy! I never thought mathematic results are dependant on which part of the world you are when you calculate them, but seemingly they are. Apparently in my part of the world the decimal point lays one step more to the left as I get these results when calculating the price of the milk powder:

1.) 0.26 cents/g
2.) 1/3 or 0.33333… cents/g

Strange phenomenon, isn't it? :P

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 21:05

My apologies, It was late;

That would be, as Nicodem says, Gil, 0.26 cents(US)/g (260/1000) and 0.33(bar, 100/300). I think the phenomenon is corellated to 0.99% with the lack of sleep and too much beer.

Still, I think some QC on the powder would be interesting.

Best of luck,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
prestoua
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2006 at 04:54

It is not milk powder but dairy creamer (vegetable fat - not milk fat). Mind the difference. Vegetable fat and proteins are and will be always cheaper than animal one.

Go To Top