Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Should flask touch the bottom of the mantle?
Alentia
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 15:03
Should flask touch the bottom of the mantle?

I have never used heating matles.

I just acquired mantle for 5000ml flask, however my 5L flasks are only sitting on inner circle and not touching the bottom of the mantle is it correct or should flask seat comfortably in the mantle and touch the bottom?
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 18:53

That mantle doesn't sound big enough. However, you might be able to partially fill it with sand (or other inert solid) to heat the bottom of the flask.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 7-10-2016 at 23:03

My original reply is below but I am adding this question. Does your mantle have a metal housing? That is what it sounded like, your flask resting on the metal housing and hovering over the mantle until I re-read it, now I am not so sure.

Yes it should, your mantle is too small. You could potentially use (essentially an air bath) but unless you're supporting with clamps it's not good to have the glass resting on the rim of the mantle like that. Metacelsus mentioned using sand, this could be done but I would recommend against it unless your mantle is designed for it. Mantles designed for sand don't have the usual glass mesh, they have a sold insert instead of a flexible one (I am assuming so it is easier to clean out), also you do risk overheating your mantle but careful temperature control (and not going all-out heating) can mitigate that hazard.

[Edited on 10/8/2016 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Alentia
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 15:16

Thank you for your answers. Those were my thoughts too, but confirmation is always good to have, so that would proof I am still sane after all these years.

Guess my 5L (metal housing) mantle is only good for 3L vessels. So it should go on eBay as I do not posses any 3000ml round flasks.

[Edited on 12-10-2016 by Alentia]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 13-10-2016 at 12:09

Just to add to the above answers, when you find an appropriately sized mantle, don't literally rest the flask on the bottom of the mantle. Uou want to clamp the flask at the neck, with the clamp supporting the weight of your setup. The flask should hover just above the bottom of the mantle.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer

Go To Top