Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How much phosphorus pentoxide
isothiazolinone
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2016 at 13:41
How much phosphorus pentoxide

Hi all, I have acquired some phosphorus pentoxide with the goal of using it as a dehydrating agent for ethyl acetate. I have already taken the preliminary step of drying the ethyl acetate with sodium sulfate, but now im unsure what the appropriate amount of phosphorus pentoxide would be to add to the ethyl acetate. I have 54 ml ethyl acetate, but Im more curious how much to add on like a generalized grams per ml type ratio. I know phosphorus pentoxide to be quite a potent dessicant and its quite expensive so i want to make sure i use the appropriate amount.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 11-10-2016 at 14:56

Since you have already dried the ethyl acetate I wouldn't think it would take very much P2O5, ie, a gram at most.

I have used it for drying acetone and chloroform before but just used what looked good. I had no rule of thumb other than "keep adding it until it flows freely." You can read about this in Prepublication, "Preparation of PCl5."

[Edited on 11-10-2016 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 11-10-2016 at 17:31

And don't leave it in for very long. Phosphoric acid is likely to hydrolyze the ester.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 11:34

Why use such an expensive drying agent for a solvent that can be dried by simple distillation?
Also, I rather suspect that you will get a messy transesterification- potentially leading to tetraethyl pyrophosphate (and lots of other things).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethyl_pyrophosphate#Toxic...

Frankly- it's a stupid way to dry the stuff

Go To Top