Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ozone produced from HV
b_d_Dom
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2006 at 12:51
Ozone produced from HV

Hello

A few weeks ago I was experimenting with a small high voltage generator that i made using the flyback transformer from and old TV. It produced about 10,000 volts at probably 2 milliamps, and I had it making a continuous spark jump about 2cm and also separate making corona (I was building a small plasma globe).

I could smell the ozone strongly, but it wasnt until the next morning that I noticed my eyes and throat felt burned, and it didnt wear off for almost a week.

What do you guys know about making ozone with high voltage and about how dangerous the actual gas is?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-11-2006 at 14:45

I also do HV-experiments and I know the ozone smell. It is really annoying. Ozone is a very strong oxidizer and as such destroys mucuous membranes and many other tissues. So, be careful with it. I do HV-experiments in a well-ventilated room, but no other special measures are taken. I think that if you work in a well-ventilated room, the issue with ozone from HV-experiments is not that serious, but if it gets annoying, then use even better ventilation, or work outside, if possible. Some arcing experiments, I do inside a glass jar, with a plastic screw cap. The screw cap at the same time provides a solid base, which makes it easier to keep the distance between electrodes constant. Loose wires are a burden for that.

Of course, my greatest concern with HV is the risk of electrocution ;).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top