Printable Version  
Author: Subject: designating electronic transitions in UV
qeezur
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-11-2016 at 09:46
designating electronic transitions in UV

Hi friends and experts.

I have a question. I synthesized a novel azo chromophore recently and took its UV/V. There are two absorption bands in it one centered at 290 and the other exists at 510. I have assumed that the first band at ~290 nm with high ϵ is due to the secondary π -π* band of aromatic ring. The low ϵ band at 510 nm is assigned to n-π* transition of –N=N- of azo.

My questions

1) How do we assign transitions (π-π* or n-π*) to bands in a UV/Vis spectra. Is the only way through the molar absorptivity ϵ that we know that low ϵ and high wavelength absorption would always be n-π* ?

2) Same azo group also has π -π* in charge separated resonance form Ar+=N-N--Ar. Where is that π-π* in the UV spectra ?

Please guide me. I shall be extremely thankful.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-11-2016 at 10:13

You might want to run some DFT calculations to look at the orbital energy levels. TD-DFT might also be useful.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 19:30

You are correct in that the n->pi* will occur at longer wavelength and and with lower extinction than the pi->pi* transition. The n->pi*transition should also show pH and solvent change shifts. If you have access to a good library, look at Jaffe and Orchin, "Theory and Applications of Ultraviolet Spectroscopy, " (1962), especially pages 182ff, 276ff and page 430.

AvB
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
7-11-2016 at 19:35
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
27-11-2023 at 10:55

Go To Top