Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What concentration of HCl can I expect?
jokoron
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-11-2016 at 21:50
What concentration of HCl can I expect?

I am planning on making HCL with sodium bisulfate and table salt. I will bubble the product gasses through water. Assuming that I will bubble an excess of gas, what concentration of HCl can I expect? How will the temperature of water effect the concentration? Also what will happen if I bubble the gas through H2O2 instead of water?

[Edited on 27-11-2016 by jokoron]
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 26-11-2016 at 22:23

Highest concentration you could obtain would be 37-38% at standard atmospheric pressure then the water would not absorb any more.

For the second answer, small amount of chlorine gas?

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-11-2016 at 14:57

In very dilute conditions, mixing HCl, created from the action of chlorine and water along with hypochlorous acid, with a small amount of H2O2 reportedly results in HOCl. To quote from Watts Dictionary of Chemistry, page 16:

"—6. Addition of H2O2 Aq (containing 2-45 p.c. H2O2) to a large excess of Cl Aq produces HClOAq, according to Fairley (B. A. 1874, 57); if much H202 is added, the HClOAq is decomposed forming HClAq, H20, and evolving O."

Link: https://books.google.com/books?pg=PA16&dq=Watt+preparati...

There is also another confirming reference: "Chemistry, inorganic and organic: with experiments" By Charles Loudon Bloxam, page 182:

"Hypochlorous acid is formed when a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide is added to a large excess of chlorine water; Cl2 + H2O2 = 2HCl0. With an excess of the peroxide, HClO + H2O2 = HCl + H20 + 02."

[Edit] I can see paths to justify the above comment based on the act of dilution itself, which could raise the pH of the hydrogen peroxide solution, making the H2O2 more prone to decomposition (including radical decomposition pathways), or the presence of solar light, or even transition metal impurities. The latter could introduce, for example, Fenton and Fenton-type reactions producing hydroxyl radicals that can directly react with chloride, resulting in products, including chlorine radicals, thereby removing HCl. See, for example, Table 5 at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&...

In more concentrated settings, from reporting on this forum, to quote observations by Woelen:

"More surprisingly, I also noticed that I obtained an oscillating reaction with 30% HCl and 30% H2O2. Simply mix the two liquids in a test tube at a HCl : H2O2 = 2 : 1 volume ratio and observe the oscillating pattern in the evolution of gas. The mix alternatingly produces chlorine gas (low bubbling activity) and oxygen gas (strong bubbling activity)."

Link: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=7622#p...

[Edited on 28-11-2016 by AJKOER]

Go To Top