Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strange result searching chemical reaction on google - hidden/burried sodium fluoride results?
RogueRose
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2017 at 16:05
Strange result searching chemical reaction on google - hidden/burried sodium fluoride results?

Ok, so I'm sure many people have put in two chemicals/compounds to see what their reaction might be, like a search for "NaHCO3 + Acetic Acid" - or just about any other compounds you are interested in. I've done more than I can count and in almost every case someone has asked this question on the Yahoo Answers page, some results with like 20 links for the same question, each link may have 2-20 answers in them! They are usually pretty good responses, often short, but good to get a general idea.

Well I wanted to see NaF + CaCO3 because I was watching a toothpaste add. This was the first time I never say a yahoo answers result for this. I even tried searching the words "sodium fluoride + Calcium Carbonate", and even reversed the order of the wording (which shouldn't matter anyway). No luck with any of these. Well there were some answers.yahoo links that had those words in it, but nothing about how they react, which is HIGHLY odd

Now I thought I would try copper, lithium, potassium carbonates with NaF and there were no "answers" on the yahoo site.

now I've read so many of these chemistry answers on yahoo, they very often stem from consumer products and how they interact with things whether they are food or healthcare. With so much controversy in some circles about fluoride in toothpaste and water, what are the chances that sodium fluoride + XXXX reaction hasn't been asked on that site ONCE!.

I'm not saying they are covering anything up or burying things, but if you compare other chems reactions and the results available on that site, I think you will see why I find it very odd.
j_sum1
International Hazard

Mood: inert even with vigorous stirring.

[*] posted on 16-1-2017 at 16:16

I think to find the information you want on that one you need to research the mechanism of fluoride hardening of teeth. The mechanism is very well understood (which, IMO is the chief argument against the anti-fluoride people).

Tooth enamel is not CaCO3, nor is NaF acidic; which is probably why you are getting nothing in your searches.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 16-1-2017 at 17:36

To elaborate, tooth enamel is hydroxyapatite, or Ca5(PO4)3(OH). Fluoride gets exchanged with the hydroxide to form fluoroapatite.

As below, so above.
zts16
Super Moderator

Mood: Phenolic

[*] posted on 16-1-2017 at 21:18

I think there's been enough said to "bury" this one in Detritus.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
Have a particular topic you're really interested in currently? Why not make a page for it? The wiki can always benefit from more contributors.

My (now defunct) YouTube Channel: Texium
My blog: Texium
zts16
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
16-1-2017 at 21:19

Go To Top