Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ozonated Fuel
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 11:31
Ozonated Fuel

Lets say an individual built a pulse detonation engine and linked it to the proper turbomachinery to create shaft horse power….

Then realizing that air/fuel requirements for proper detonation is quite critical one decided to ozonate ethanol at a chilled temperature and cap it similar to a 2 Liter soda bottle, but in a carbon fiber tank or something..

Despite the obvious, how dangerous would this be at room temperature? Since some people ozonate olive oil for health i think it would create a really powerful fuel blend….

If not, a scary explosive
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 13:02

Quote:

Since some people ozonate olive oil for health

Which is pure quackery. Ozone merely oxidizes the double bonds in olive oil to shorter chain ketones.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 13:29

Assuming you have the ability to ozonate an organic compound it isn't wortht the time. The resulting compound will probably detonate by looking at it the wrong way. The only useful oxygenated fuels I can think of are nitromethane, nitropropane, ether, biodiesel, ethanol, methanol, and some others.

O2 might be a better choice compared to O3. One its cheaper, easier to handle, easier to acquire and a hell of a lot less reactive.
gregxy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2006 at 20:33

Besides detonation does not extract any more
energy from a substance than buring. Detonation
only extracts the energy faster, so fast as to make it
very difficult to operate any type of machine, all that
it would do is shatter the metal parts.

If you could figure out how to burn methylnitrate without
it exploding then that might
make a good choice since it contains all the oxygen that
it needs. (all you would need wold be a piston and
exhaust valve).
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 11:52

Yes there are plenty of super fuels that cost to much for wide spread use, like boranes come to mind

Complete combustion releases complete energy, but detonation, in that short time, releases that energy more completely then combustion right?

Im interested in micro combustion and detonation techniques. I know there’s a secret geometry and ceramic material and platinum catalyst that can work on a small scale, like a elusive room temp super conductor. It would be like an m-80 going off every second

But for now I will stick to more benign chemistry, but if I get bored I will ozonate 500 mls ethanol to saturation in a plastic bottle and put it outside. If it holds its own pressure at room temp I will shoot a phosphorus LR .22 at it from a distance….
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 20:12

Quote:

It would be like an m-80 going off every second

can this power intensity will create a fast wear in your materials or even destroy it?
i think which this is rather dificult to try at home, and specially (hazardous) when handle with O<sub>3</sub> ...

[sorry about my bad english]

[Editado em 30-12-2006 por Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
hinz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 06:36

Quote:
...I will ozonate 500ml ethanol to saturation...

Is ozone soluble in ethanol? I think this won't work, because the ozone will decompose the ethanol long before you have reached a high enough concetration of O3 to make the mixture detonatable.

Somewhere I've read something about the electrophilic addition products of ozone to double bonds, like the benzene ozonides. Has anyone already isolated some kind of these ozonides? Are there any references, it would be quite interesting to bubble ozone through benzene or maybe toluene. (might be a problem with the space, if the O3 atacks at p-position, there will be only one O3 added to it (3,4 or 3,5 ozonide), at m-position there might be two O3 added to it, the 2,3;5,6 diozonide) because I don't think the big O3 ring will steric fit at the same possition, where the CH3 is already).
Does it even work with aromatics, the first attack on the O3 is electrophilic, but then I have a negative charged O3-chain and here the O3 chain might attack the possitive ring nucleophilic or the aromatic might deprotonate somewhere. If the ring deprotonates, the compond will probable rearange and the nucleophilic attack on a aromatic is difficult...

Who knows...

Here is a link with more infomations about ozonations:
http://www.organic-chemistry.org/frames.htm?http://www.organ...

Go To Top