Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A curiosity regarding baking soda
polymer
Harmless

Mood: unsteady

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 20:34
A curiosity regarding baking soda

I have practically been posessed with the world of polymer chemistry. So, I have been performing a few neat experiments where I mixed 15mL water with 30mL baking soda first, and then 20mL elmer's glue was mixed with that. Before I did that, I observed the reaction of the tincture of iodine with a suspension of the baking soda, which turned blue. I then observed the same thing with the solution of the
baking soda and glue, and nothing happened. So, I concluded that the glue added atoms that formed a covalent bond with the other atoms. So, does anyone have the glue's molecular formula? Does anyone know of a glue that can form ionic bonds?

E/m*c^2
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 29-12-2006 at 20:37

sorry about my ignorance(and english), but what is "elmer's glue " ??? is it a type of glue which is made with any type of starches or something?

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 00:05

<A HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer's_Glue">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer's_Glue</A> :P

Edit: WHAT THE FUCK, neither anchor nor bbcode skips over the apostrophe. Your board is busted...

[Edited on 12-30-2006 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 08:24

Oh really sorry , but i getting angry with spam in another post... so i now delete my own post there (in "b12 vitamin")..

about the elmer's glue with you send the link, thanks... and isn't made with starches as i imagined... but the "Elmer's Glue-All is a polyvinyl acetate-based glue."(from your link)...

And again sorry about spell out swearword..this isn't a good thing to beginner as i ... again, i'm ashamed ..
---------

Quote:
..Does anyone know of a glue that can form ionic bonds?..

MAYBE a glue based sulfur, like the polysulfide polymers based glues.. but note which this isn't water soluble,so you will should use a non-polar solvent...
what about?

[sorry about my poor english or other thing]

[Editado em 30-12-2006 por Aqua_Fortis_100%]

[Editado em 30-12-2006 por Aqua_Fortis_100%]

"The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant."
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 08:37

Ionic bonds huh, does portland cement count? It's a glue of sorts, composed of ions. Sounds good to me.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 30-12-2006 at 08:51

but the portland cement have no a lot of insoluble or weak solubles materials in many solvents,(which can form suspensions),like MgO, calcium silicates, etc? this not affect the "glue" form ionic bonds? ... and also no have organic things ,leving which is almost the same thing which add basic things(because MgO, CaO,presents in portland,etc)... i'm now confused... sorry..

polymer
Harmless

Mood: unsteady

[*] posted on 31-12-2006 at 14:40

Portland cement has too many impurities to be useful. In other words, Portland Cement has too many solids.

E/m*c^2
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 31-12-2006 at 20:22

Eh? The whole point of glue is to be solid. It has exactly as much impurity as it needs for its specified use (and there are many specifications of calcium silicate based cements, I might add).

If you're trying to get at something, then rather than being confusing, please do tell.

Tim

Aqua_Fortis_100%
Hazard to Others

Mood:

[*] posted on 31-12-2006 at 20:51

thanks Tim..
i'm confused about how a organic polymer can be ionic, even the polysulfide polymers. i'ts strange for me,even knowledging which in fact exist... the portland cement isn't organic..does not wish the member Polymer , organic glues which be ionic??? or any other type of glue as cement which you says?
i must just search plus and plus... because polymers isn't my "speciality"...as several others things..
actually i'm very interested in ALL of sciencemadness, because when i searche anything in google ,yahoo, etc , almost always appear results from sciencemadness...
well, in short, i'm a newbie which still needs of lots of informations about the chemistry "mother"..

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 10:50

Hello,

PVAc will form *hydrogen bonded* crosslinked-chain structures. Addition of a good enough alkali will abstract the protons from the pendant hydroxyl groups to render the negative alkoxide ion. In the presence of a suitable cation, viz. Na, you will get ionic pairs -O- +Na. In other cases, viz. where the pendant groups are carboxyls and the counter ion is say, Ca++, the chains can be ionically linked together to yield material that is quite tough (the obnoxius, tough polymer used to package small electronics).

For fun, try adding your pVAc glue to a solution of borax. The "boronic acid" should crosslink the stuff via boronic ester linkages to yield a non-Newtonian fluid resembling "silly putty".

Happy New Year,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 21:23

I don't see why you couldn't polymerize something with carboxylic side groups. Does acrylic acid polymerize? Being an acid, that would count right there. Then treat it with a base to get the salt.

And whaddya know, it works, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_polyacrylate

Tim

Go To Top