Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dysfunctions at Reference Forum
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 03:10
Dysfunctions at Reference Forum

The Reference forum works very well for requesting journal articles, this is entirely due to the unswerving generosity of a few members who do the fetching for us all.

However as to books and journal volumes, the Reference forum is extremely disappointing.

Especially so for those who like myself have just recently joined.

This is because almost all of the many highly desirable books and journals posted there, virtually ALL of the links to RapidShare are dead, RapidShare deleted the material for inactivity.

This means that (1) the member who uploaded the material used a free account and (2) no one downloaded the material for 30 days rior to deletion.

This is very very frustrating. Rather like being very hungry and staring at a restaurant front window display of tasty dishes, all of which are actually wax.

I don't know how many times I have clicked through a link in the References forum only to have Rapidshare give me their "deleted" spiel.

In the Full Journals category I managed to download volumes 19-36 of Angew.Chem International Ed., for which I am grateful to kmno4.

However volumes 1-18 are deleted.

All of Synn Lett is deleted

All but one year of Synthesis is deleted

All of Topics in Current Chemistry (that I tried) also gone.

Chem.Comm, gone,

I have yet to find a SINGLE book still available. All deleted.

I would love to have Ullman's. I would love to have the excerpted volumes 1-5 of Inorg.Syn. and so on.

Gone.

I have written to several of the benefactors who originally put these up, asking for reupload, and have received no replies.

Very frustrating!

If newbies are too late to take advantage of fellow members' generosity, that's fine. But if they are unwilling to re-upload deleted material why not take the posts down? Because the dead links serve no useful purpose, do they?

I shouldn't need to point out that a premium account at the moment costs 55 Euros a year and that uploads from a premium member are never deleted. The time and labor that was invested by someone like kmno4 in preparing all those gigs of pdfs of AW, Synthesis, SynLett and Topics etc etc was WASTED without a premium account because all those were deleted rather quickly.

I for one would be DELIGHTED to underwrite a premium account for kmno4 and do so on an ongoing basis which would keep these journals and anything else he puts up in future available for years.

Furthermore I am fully prepared to make good on one member's suggestion and recompress the pdf's I managed to download using Adobe Acrobat JBIG2 which will reduce file sizes by 55-65% further, speeding downloads for everyone.

And I'll do that for whatever I get in future, and upload these to my own premium acct.

That's my way of saying THANKS to the people who made it possible for me to obtain this material.

I would really like to have the first half of AW, and all of Synthesis, and SynLett.
Lambda
National Hazard

Mood: Euforic Online

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 03:37

Dear @Sauron,

Please U2U Madhatter and/or Axehandle for FTP access rights. You can then download and of course upload to your harts content. The Ullmann Encyclopedia can be found on my bookshelf :P, eMule (500-700MB) and maybe on one of the FTP services mentioned above.

Please also read there SM Forum posts, for it explains all you have to know about there FTP services. There is no need to ask them anything, for it is all clearly written down here.

Madhatter and Axehandle have there own life, and are making these services available at there own expense and time. So,..please be patient for a reply, which you will eventually get.

Good luck, and happy downloading !

Regards,

Lambda.

[Edited on 3-1-2007 by Lambda]
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 03:58

It will be quite a long wait for pm's to axehandle to be answered, he's not even logged in for almost 9 months. Maybe he got tired of all the requests?

So, you're volunteering for a link checker/deleter position?
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 05:34

Thanks S.C.Wack, I didn't know the position was available. The key point is that is a rapidshare link is dead AND the person who uploaded it is unwilling or unavailable to re-up then the link is a nuisance and a waste of time, isn't it?

Many have certainly been to me.

I have PMd MadHatter, but not Axehandle. I PMd KMNO4. Tried to PM you but seems that did not work, dunno why.

I note that you did (according to some old posts) re-upload a lot of books after they mysteriously vanished from RapidShare far earlier than they should have, and the re-uploads also disappeared. Ever get to the root of that?

RapidShare is essentially a scam, set up like an all-you-can eat restaurant. The free part is made annoying to get you to pay $$$. I do not know if that really makes things all better. I have a 2000 MB/sec broadband account here and an hour ago tried to download Lambda's OneTon file, a lousy 3 Mb, and the xfer rate was <1 KB/sec. I cancelled out of that foolishness.

It was Polverone who suggested (to KMNO4) that PDFs be processed or reprocessed using JBIG2 within Acrobat. As I live in Bangkok I have no problem obtaining the latest full version of Acrobat, for about $2.

I have a couple of good books on peptide chemistry (M.Bodenszky) that I am digitizing anyway and I can contribute those to the community when I am done. Oxford uses these two as texts, one is essentially a review and the other a lab manual of preparative peptide work including making many of the reagents. I do not know if anyone else here cares a fig about peptides.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 07:35

@Lambda, I take it that Axehandle's site is ftp#1 and MadHatter's is FTP#2. I will go read the relevant posts. However I note with chagrin that Axehandle is long out of contact and MadHatter's site is down.

No joy in Mudville.
Lambda
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 09:06

@Madhatter is not down, for I have checked this yesterday.

FTP Server; posted on 2-1-2007 at 21:14
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6398#pid8...

Please read this thread for information on @Madhatter's FTP services.

New FTP; posted on 29-6-2005 at 12:38
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4088&...

This will be your FileZilla access notation:

Address = ftp://imgtf.no-ip.org
User = Sauron (With Capital letter "S", and small letters "auron" ).
Password = This @Madhatter will send you, please check your "U2U Inbox".
Port = 21

The "Ullmann Encyclopedia" may miraculously appear to be found soon on @Madhatters FTP services. It's only about 700MB, and with your 1KB/S download speed, you will by then have grown a nice Beard to present to the world for all your efforts :D

Regards,

Lambda.

[Edited on 3-1-2007 by Lambda]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 09:35

I already have a nice beard. But thanks for the thought.

1 KB/sec is sometimes from rapidshare, but by ftp should be a lot faster. 40-50-100 KB/sec not uncommon. The ISP bandwidth is 2000 KB/sec by dedicated line to router and a fast ethernet 100 MB/sec RJ-45 after that.

I downloaded 18 years of Angew.Chem in rar totalling about 1.4 GB from rapidshare so I guess I can handle 700 MB of Ullman's.

Thanks for the details.

I will await MadHatter's invitation to the tea party.

[Edited on 3-1-2007 by Sauron]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 11:55

Further to above: I have now armed myself with my usual ftp client (CuteFTP) and set up the connection except for the PW, tested the system by connecting to the GlobalScape site, no problems.

So as soon as MadHatter forks over the PW I will be happily downloading.

Thanks for your assistance
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 16:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron

I note that you did (according to some old posts) re-upload a lot of books after they mysteriously vanished from RapidShare far earlier than they should have, and the re-uploads also disappeared. Ever get to the root of that?

I take it that Axehandle's site is ftp#1

So as soon as MadHatter forks over the PW I will be happily downloading.

It is as I said there IIRC, they lie about the time that they give before deleting. That simple. I have no need to reupload any of my scans now; also I have never read the references (or whimsy) forum, so it wouldn't happen anyways.

axehandle is ftp#2 as can be seen from the title of the thread. Eliteforum had the original ftp. The subject has been well covered and this is not a secret.

No doubt MadHatter is masturbating furiously at the thought of forking over the password to you.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2007 at 19:38

RapidShare is no longer relevant if the material in question is on the ftp sites.

As RapidShare lies about the 30 days they are claimiing to give uploads for free, even if never downloaded, and 30 days beyond the most recent download if any -- then no one ought to ever give them $$ for a premium account, certainly not I. Because they could just as easily lie about the perpetual hosting of uploads by a premium member.

If the purpose of RapidShare from the point of view of us here is to host files just long enough to move them onto ftp, that's OK.

I am not kvetching but if MadHatter is doing as you say I wish he'd free up one hand at least and PM me that PW as I have still heard not a peep.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 04:35

FWIW I stated above that I could not find a single rapidscan link to a book in the References section was was still working.

Since then I have found two.

Advances in Heterocyclic Chemistry Vol.10 edited by Alan R.Katritzky & A.Boulton

http://rapidshare.com/files/8170785/Heterocyclic_Chemistry_-...

(ARK runs the Center for Heterocyclic Chemistry at UFl Gainesville. He is also very prominent in computational chemistry especially in QSAR/QSPR and I use his CODESSA software myself.)

Purification of Laboratory Chemicals 5th Ed.

http://rapidshare.de/files/1146245/Purification_of_Laborator...

I am having some grief dowloading this one and have had five failed downloads in a row. Best was 64% when it terminated. And now RapidShare is returning a Deleted for Inactivity message for this link!!!

I post these here to illustrate the paucity of working book links in Reference forum.
[Edited on 4-1-2007 by Sauron]

Lambda
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 05:39

Quote:
Originally posted by S.C. Wack

No doubt MadHatter is masturbating furiously at the thought of forking over the password to you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron

I am not kvetching but if MadHatter is doing as you say I wish he'd free up one hand at least and PM me that PW as I have still heard not a peep.

If at all he can spare just one Hand, for with the other Hand he is most probably rapidly applying a powerful Lubricant. Knowing his interest in the field of Chemistry, he must be using Blasting Gelatine with a lower than normal Nitrocellulose content for it's soft and mushy sensation. The Nitroglycerine in this self fabricated Lubricant must be giving him a hell of a Headache, but what the hell,...he already has a Head-Wall bashing Scull cracking Migraine. It would not surprise me at all, to read in this Threads follow up that he has knocked the Roof clean of his House, and smashed up all his Computers. No more FTP services, and enjoying just a few skinny years of self proclaimed Pension due to the many years of lost life caused by FTP-hassle and Nitro-Lubricant Intoxication. But maybe he has already blown himself to Kingdom come while furiously Masturbating with Nitro-Lubricant, for his FTP services seems to be down as from the day this Thread started to emerge.

But @Sauron, just be a little patient, for he may still "erect" himself and free just one Hand for you.

Power to you @Madhatter, HAPPY NEW YEAR, AND THE BEST OF WISHES !!

Regards,

Lambda.

[Edited on 6-1-2007 by Lambda]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2007 at 08:57

I wonder why Purification of Laboratory Chemicals vanished right out from under me while downloading? Ever since then (3-4 hours) it is showing as Deleted for Inactivity.

Did a Rapidshare server go down?

Next morning:

Rapidshare now returning a simple "File Not Found" rather than the Deleted message. The Heterocycles book is still the ONLY book I've been able to download. I have tried scores of others, maybe 100 links by now, no luck at all.

[Edited on 5-1-2007 by Sauron]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 06:07

A kind forumite graciously sent me a working rapidshare link to "Purification of Laboratory Chemicals" 5th Ed. and I am downloading it now but it is coming in at a snail's pace 3 to 4 KB/s.

Just two hours ago I downloaded XP SP2 all 266 Mb of it and it came in at 140-150 KB/s. (And not from Microsoft either.) So the problem is not my system or my ISP or my location. The problem is Rapidshare, and/or the connectivity between Europe and Asia.

Yet another generous soul sent me a massive list of rapidshare links, which I am very grateful for, I am still reading this, and will try one after the present download finishes.

This will keep me busy while MadHatter is getting around to sending me a PW.

ALSO today I hauled my dead ass out of my comfy judge's chair and went to the IT Mall and my favorite software buccaneer, and procured Adobe Acrobat Professional 8. it said for Windows all versions but turned out to be for XP SP2 only. So I upgraded to SP2 with the 266 Mb file described above, then installed Acrobat 8 Pro.

Now I can follow Polverone's advice and use JBIG2 to squeeze down files further.

[Edited on 5-1-2007 by Sauron]
Maya
Hazard to Others

Mood: molten

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 07:42

I don't know why you are having so much trouble, I downloaded Most every rapidshare link I saw that interested me ( when i got the chance ) in not very many seconds each. Now I have giga- if not terra-bits of chemistry to curate for a long time:o

\"Prefiero ser yo extranjero en otras patrias, a serlo en la mia\"
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2007 at 08:04

Internet backbone to Mercury must be spectacular.

The Purification book finally made it, it took c.90 minutes for a 19,8 Mb file. And it took me two tries to get it, first time tonight it failed at about 64%.

So, I envy you your good connectivity.

I will now go forth and struggle with the list someone just sent me tonight.
Lambda
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2007 at 07:03
Purification of Laboratory Chemicals - 5th Edition (2003)

@Sauron, maybe this will work better for you than RapidShare.

The file is hosted on:
http://www.megaupload.com

Purification of Laboratory Chemicals - 5th Edition - By Wilfred L. F. Armarego & Christina Li Lin Chai (Butterworth-Heinemann - Elsevier Science - 2003) 634s.pdf (19.8 MB) as:

Purification of Laboratory Chemicals - 5th Edition (2003).rar (13.8 MB):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5HEJ34TA

Regards,

Lambda.

Go To Top