Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acquisition and/or synthesis of thiocyanates without using cyanide
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

smile.gif posted on 4-9-2017 at 16:25
Acquisition and/or synthesis of thiocyanates without using cyanide

I am currently in the need of a thiocyanate salt (preferably Na or K) in order to qualitatively test for ferric ions, among other uses. I came across a thread (I will post it once I get onto a computer) that stated thiocyanates can be synthesized by dehydrating a ferrocyanide and heating it with sulfur. I happen to have some potassium ferrocyanide on hand. If this doesn't work, what will work? I prefer not working with cyanide salts (but cyanate, and nontoxic complexes are OK). If someone has a source that sells a thiocyanate salt for less than 0.20 cents a gram for 30 g, I would be happy to purchase (preferably on Ebay).
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 16:42

Why not use the ferrocyanide to test for ferric ions? IIRC it is more sensitive than thiocyanate anyway.
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 16:43

Why not using thiourea and the alkali metal carbonate or hydroxide of your choice and melting them together under lots of heat, to obtain the thiocyanate?
That is a viable and useful procedure for the home chemist to obtain cyanates if urea is used, I guess it depends on availability of thiourea if it´s an useful method for you in special?
ninhydric1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bleached

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 17:23

@karlos I'll probably try that. I have access to thiourea as Tarn-X so that shouldn't be a problem. Do you have a written-out procedure/reference I could refer too?

Go To Top