Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: we've got a problem...
NBK
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 01:05

Spammers, trolls, lames, and k3wLs are the bane of any board, and only a high hand can deal with them properly.

Of course, the higher your Google ranking, the more likely you are to be subjected to such problems, requiring sterner measures of control against them. :)

Friends come and go, but enemies last a lifetime.

My PGP Key Fingerprint: 2453 AA75 C64D B418 7D36 FD45 E42D AF70 23A3 E16E
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 22:27
Fast Responses

I've noticed that trolls on science-related boards are dealt with straightaway. This is important
because these wankers consume disk space and bandwidth with their mindless posts. Send them
and their posts up the spout !

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 09:46
no heightened security please

I don't think we should add layers of security. That's what government does and look where we are. I would think there's be a way to remove the bot's posts and cancel its account. Clearly the site is a target for someone.. a disgruntled ex-member who got pissed off at a few rude members? A random vandal? Whatever, deal with it and move on with minimal distubance, please.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 10:14

we just need a few more staff to cover All Time-Zones, that`s all.

we had to do that over at SFN, and so far... So Good.

and don`t forget, you`ll always get your periods of School breaks and hollidays when these "attacks" are more frequent, and the staff presence is less.
it`s all part of the "game", sad but True non the less.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 3-3-2007 at 14:50

Quote:

we just need a few more staff to cover All Time-Zones, that`s all.

No, what we need is less quarrels between members who should know better, less people who think they know how to run this place and more people who adhere to simple, basic rules like using the edit function etc.

If you've ever seen the Bourne Identity, this line should be familiar:
"Why don't you book a conference room and talk him to death?"

[Edited on 3-3-2007 by vulture]

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 12:43

For the last 36 hours, I was unable to unable Sciencemadness at all. An hour or so ago, I tried accessing it through a proxy-server located in Spain, which I found on http://www.samair.ru/proxy/ , successfully!! (I find Spanish proxy servers to be usually very good). IT THEREFORE APPEARS THAT EITHER AN AGENCY OF THE NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT (PROBABLY GCSB, THE ELECTRONIC SECRET POLICE), OR MY ISP, XTRA, IS BLOCKING ACCESS TO SCIENCEMADNESS!! Have any other subscribers in New Zealand noticed this?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 14:49

I have a similar problem with eBay, also for somewhere between 1 and 2 days. There apparently are some serious network problems in the USA. I cannot reach eBay anymore from NL and this is the same for all other people, who have KPN (one of the larger dutch telecom operators) as their ISP. It works through a proxy, albeit slowly (proxies usually are terribly slow).

The problem is DNS-related. I fixed the problem by using another DNS-server (normally I obtain this through DHCP, but for the time being, I use a fixed setting). You could give it a try as well.

Try 208.67.222.222 as DNS server. It might fix your problem (at least, it fixed mine with eBay).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
joeflsts
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 17:05

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnWW
For the last 36 hours, I was unable to unable Sciencemadness at all. An hour or so ago, I tried accessing it through a proxy-server located in Spain, which I found on http://www.samair.ru/proxy/ , successfully!! (I find Spanish proxy servers to be usually very good). IT THEREFORE APPEARS THAT EITHER AN AGENCY OF THE NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT (PROBABLY GCSB, THE ELECTRONIC SECRET POLICE), OR MY ISP, XTRA, IS BLOCKING ACCESS TO SCIENCEMADNESS!! Have any other subscribers in New Zealand noticed this?

Have you contacted them to determine if your claim is true?

Joe
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 1-9-2007 at 21:22

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnWW

Yes! I have been in a similar situation. My ISP is also XTRA!

Regards, Xenoid
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top