Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking for DACS strip chart recorder software
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 19:39
looking for DACS strip chart recorder software

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a link to open source DACS strip chart recorder software. If free isn't possible I can afford 100-$200 at most for the software the program is for an old Gow Mac 350. Please any help on this topic would be appreciated.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 04:12

Do you mean one of those pen charts?
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 07:39

Actually the pen chart recorder is what I would like to avoid. I am attempting to determine a means to digitize the recorder and run the system through computer rather than finding a pen cart recorder. I know this is possible, compatible software exists however finding what could be considered antiquated software has proven frustrating. The software I have found are sadly incompatible apparently to advanced. Found one that was compatible with Gow Mac 580 or something something similar however I am running a 350 and cannot risk the $$$ on the hope that it might function. If anyone can offer sage advice please do I implore you.

Thanks.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 07:59

Quote: Originally posted by SHADYCHASE54  
Actually the pen chart recorder is what I would like to avoid. I am attempting to determine a means to digitize the recorder and run the system through computer rather than finding a pen cart recorder. I know this is possible, compatible software exists however finding what could be considered antiquated software has proven frustrating. The software I have found are sadly incompatible apparently to advanced. Found one that was compatible with Gow Mac 580 or something something similar however I am running a 350 and cannot risk the $$$ on the hope that it might function. If anyone can offer sage advice please do I implore you.

Thanks.

Maybe its me being stupid, or maybe your shit at explaining.
Lets start again....

I assume you have some kind of device, maybe something like a data logger? What is the make and model of this device? What does it do?

Or you have software and no device. Or you just want some software that does something?
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 08:04

As a rule of thumb, anything that normally connects to a chart recorder can easilly be interfaced to a variety of software. This is not normally expensive, unless you want specific software. Or put another way, you have your heart set on a pirate copy of software and wont consider using any other software.

Pen charts are analog, so interfacing to a computer is easy via a Arduino or other micro controller and a £2 cable.
From there you can then use some shit like visual basic and build your own software, or better yet use Matlab and labview to do really cool shit, or normally we can find software to do what you want.

Crowfjord
National Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 09:12

Labview is a good one, though I suppose it isn't open source. I used it in my undergrad research to chart the output of a cyclic voltameter. I can't remember what I used for the analog to digital interface, though.

[Edited on 13-1-2018 by Crowfjord]
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 09:28

Quote: Originally posted by Crowfjord  
Labview is a good one, though I suppose it isn't open source. I used it in my undergrad research to chart the output of a cyclic voltameter. I can't remember what I used for the analog to digital interface, though.

[Edited on 13-1-2018 by Crowfjord]

I think you can get a student version or a free type version. I am not sure, i have the student one. I also think you can get a similar software that is open source.

But depends what you want to do, i assume its draw a graph. You could just import a CSV file into excell and have a macro do it.
As for the interface thats the easy bit.

A simple £5 Arduino board and £2 cable will sort that, use a rsr232 to USB cable, connect device to the ADC pins on the micro and use the RS232 peripheral in the micro to output the data as serial over the cable.

Something like xterm could pick that up and record to a CSV file.

with more details i could prob sort something easy enough
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 12:41

Thank you for the explanation regarding interfacing a Gow-Mac 350 gas chromatograph from analog ports to a digital port. What I am hoping to find is a windows compatible program to chart and measure the compounds' abundance as they leave the column. I have some experience with TLC however no experience with GC as such the equipment is new to me and I expect a moderate learning curve. So thank you again for any advice you can or already have provided. I am presently looking into Matlab and Labview to see if they will work out for me.
Crowfjord
National Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 13-1-2018 at 14:10

Once you get your output converted and graphed, you will then need to calculate the area under the curves to determine amounts present in the sample analyzed. Some calculus will be required if the equation for the curve can be figured out, or more simply, the trapezoidal approximation using the raw data. This is what I used in school to quantitate caffeine in drinks via GC-FID years ago.
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-1-2018 at 22:20

Quote: Originally posted by SHADYCHASE54  
Hello again I decided I wasn't being very clear with my request as I hadn't time to really think about it. I have an old Gow Mac 350 gas chromatograph. I need to convert the analog output to 24bit digital. Now that I have looked into this a little more I realize I do not simply want chart recording capabilities I would like all the analytic bells and whistles that can be had for GC chart recording as well as analysis. I have bought a book on hacking ardino so hopefully this will help me with the a/d converter any further advice pertaining to the project of getting this basic GC operational would be appreciated.

WP_20180113_002.jpg - 1.3MB

WP_20180113_005.jpg - 1.1MB

WP_20180113_004.jpg - 1.3MB

[Edited on 15-1-2018 by SHADYCHASE54]
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2018 at 04:05

I need to think on this, there is an interface unit used for scientific equipment, it has 6 ports. in essence all it does is take serial data from the machine, and converts it into a format for the software.

They are not expensive, then again what they do isnt hard.
You should be able to get hold of a copy of total chrom software by elmer perkins. That will give you all the info you need and graph everything and then some.

The output from your machine draws a graph, it simply outputs a voltage that a graph recorder then uses. This is no different to any other GC. Except most newer ones then send the data as RS232 or similar.

I am positive you dont need 24bit data, no pen recorder could use data approaching that kind of resolution. A 10 bit ADC is more than good enough. thats 1024 resolution. What is the max voltage output on the back?

I still see no reason why you couldnt sample the output with a micro, then just have the micro send out the data in serial format. Total chrom would look for a serial port, this is where the USB cable i spoke of comes into play.

The cable sets up a serial port via USB, so you would map the software to that port, the only real problems you have are as follows

1) What is the mx peak voltage the pen chart sockets output?

2) What kind of speed does it do it at?

You would normally set the pen chart for X cm per min, this is the speed that the GC outputs the data. To convert it, you really need to run a sample and connect an oscilloscope to the output. That would tell you everything you need to know.

I would mix a couple of solvents up and run them, then sit and watch the scope for the peaks. From that you would get a good idea what to set the serial baud rate too.
Also it would let you know what kind of resolution you need. None of this is hard, but all of it is impossible without information.

I will go see what info i can find on your machine, but 100% for sure, if it outputs to a pen chart, then you can interface it to something like total chrom Gas chromatography software, that basically acts like a digital pen recorder, but it can work out the area ect etc etc. All the bells and whistles you want.

Go To Top