Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: FOX-7
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2012 at 22:54

Many people in this forum have thought about making Fox-7 by reacting (NO2)C=CCl2 with ammonia.

The reaction of 1,1-diiodo-2,2-dinitroethylene with NH3 would not make Fox-7, but rather would form dinitro-acetonitrile.
NΞC—CH(NO2)2

This is because the NH3 molecule will immediately condense with both halogen atoms before another NH3 molecule can react.

But it is interesting to think about how hydrazine would react with it.

Here is what happens when (NO2)C=CCl2 reacts with NH3:
Quote:

Dissolve 1,1-dichloro-2,2-dinitroethylene (around 96 g) from the previous step in 800 mL of toluene in a large round-bottomed flask. Place the flask to a weighing machine and bubble dry ammonia gas through the solution. Pour the content of the flask over a filter to collect the crystals, wash them several times with small portions of water and dry them under vacuum. Yield is 73 g or 97% of the ammonium salt of dinitromethylcyanide.
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2012 at 21:07

Hi Anders, where did this quote re 1,1 dichloro 2,2 dinitroethene come from? I've done a search on the SM site and I see you have posted the same quote twice but I can't see the source.:(

Ah, I've found it! A dud thread from roguesci site that even there had be withdrawn as improbably crap. So I think I'm back to nitration of tetra-iodoethylene to the diiodo-dinitro ethylene.

Has anyone ever tried to prepare tetraiodoethylene? It does sound too difficult; check out Von Richter Vol 1 p96

[Edited on 29-7-2012 by Boffis]
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-7-2012 at 02:47

Just for interest I have found this preperation information for tetraiodoethylene while rumaging around the internet. I don't think this will get you any closer to Fox 7 but 1,1-diiodo-2,2-dinitroethylene sound like an interesting compound in its own right; maybe you can oxidize the iodine as suggested in other threads on this site..

Tetraiodoethylene.jpg - 53kB
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top