Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: metal oxide/resin catalysts
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 20-2-2007 at 23:47
metal oxide/resin catalysts

I'm looking for papers, references, threads, experiences, etc. I want to find a cheap combination of commerical ion exchange resin, solvent and metal oxide so I have the oxide in the resin as a catalyst for possible continuous feed processing.

I've only been working in this area a few months; info gathering and waste oil stockpiling ...

also thinking about diatomaceous earth and corn husks as substrates... but those are other experiments...
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2007 at 01:12

In most cases the metals in an ion exchange resin (organic) are in the form of a sulfonate or carboxylate salt, get them to oxides you'd dump in base to precipitate the hydroxide/oxide.

Most metal oxide catalytic uses that I know are for oxidative processes, which tend to chew up organics including resins. The oxides are generally used with inorganic ion exchange materials such as zeolites, on the surface of bulk inorganic materials such as alumina, or as precipitated and ignited materials - often coprecipitated with a substrate-oxide former.

So I need to ask "what oxides, and what reactions?"
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2007 at 00:29

I'm working on the main biodeisel problem of transesterification ... trying to improve economy first. I have other related aspirations I'll tell you about but I have to get ready for a symposium on biofuels happening tomorrow.

Thank you for all the good pointers. You've saved me a lot of time and wandering. I'll try to get back with some results and references.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-2-2007 at 03:40

Transesterfication - I'd try sulfonated ion exchange resins without anything added - acid catalysed instead of base; as the acid is in the form of plastic blobs, it's easy to remove it. Some of the zeolites and molecular sieves are strongly acid as well; I'm not sure how far they go on the basic side.
chemrox
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2007 at 22:51

acid catalyzed should work fine although phosphoric failed miserably when I tried it

Go To Top