Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: synthesis of n-propyl-p-nitrophenylamine
benzbenz
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 09:18
synthesis of n-propyl-p-nitrophenylamine

I'm doing experiments on reaction between p-nitrochlorbenzene and amines. In the text of organic chemistry, this reaction is easy to carry. But i just get very few product. The condition is p-nitrochlorbenzene, propylamine, DMF, K2CO3, heating to 50, and magnetic stirring. TLC is very little spot. i do something wrong with this experiment? thks

[Edited on 15-3-2007 by benzbenz]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 10:54

Try using 3 equivalents of propylamine instead of K2CO3 as acid scavenger, methanol or ethanol as solvent and run the reaction at 100-150°C (you have to use an autogenous pressure resistant vessel – don't know the correct name in English). I doubt that the reaction would proceed at a useful rate at 50°C, even with DMF as solvent. What are the conditions described in the literature anyway?

PS: The corect name is N-propyl-p-nitroaniline. "n" stands for normal, that is non-isomeric straight chain alkyl while you need to indicate you have an N-alkylated aniline.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
benzbenz
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 18:09

oh, the condition includes 6kbar pressure.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 19:04

And the English term for autogenous pressure resistant vessel is "autoclave" for example, Parr, or Autoclave Engineering, etc.
benzbenz
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 22:37

i don't have any autoclave. I just have some flask. Isn't it carred out under atmosphere?

Go To Top