Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How toxic is methanol actually?
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 13:28

Quote: Originally posted by happyfooddance  
Although I hesitate to respond for fear of being aga'd...

Fear Not !

The rod in my ass was removed yesterday by a team from AmateurAssRod.com.

They got a lot to learn those guys.

There was absolutely no need for the gimp suit, nor the Camel.

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 13:33

Quote: Originally posted by LearnedAmateur  
I’ll have to go with Melgar on this one (maybe not the ‘complete bullshit’ part since that’s a bit strong and we all share a bit of misinformation here and there), like I mentioned it’s the formic acid that does the damage hence requires metabolism first. Same goes for ethylene glycol, fairly benign in itself but it metabolises to oxalic acid in vivo which is quite toxic as most of us know.

Growing up, Nicodem was my role model. :P

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-4-2018 at 23:12

I work with methanol quite comfotably. It indeed is not that dangerous. Just use common sense, do not ingest it and try to avoid excessive inhaling or excessive skin contact. An occasional whiff or occasional wetting of e.g. part of your hand is not a problem.

When it comes to smell:
- Methanol is nearly odorless to me, but what I can smell of it comes quite close to the smell of ethanol.
- Ethanol is a little more pungent, pure ethanol has a somewhat sweet, but also pungent smell. Not unpleasant.
- Iso-propanol has a very distinct smell, its smell is much stronger than that of ethanol and it is more 'chemical'. I do not dislike its smell, nor do I particularly like it.
- n-Propanol smells a lot like ethanol, but a little stronger. Besides that, it has a faint rancid 'side-smell'. This effect is weak, but it makes smelling n-propanol somewhat unpleasant.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-4-2018 at 07:56

If I ever spill methanol on my skin, I go take a shot of rum just in case :D
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 23-4-2018 at 08:30

How about taking a shot of rum if there’s even the remotest chance you’ll be working with methanol ;)

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 25-4-2018 at 13:53

In my neck of the woods, we used to call them MFOs. Multifunctional Oxidases.

Convert Ethanol into Acetaldehyde etc... Convert Methanol into first Formaldehyde, then Formic Acid.

To me, Methanol has a "Sweet" odor. Whereas, Ethanol has some "Bite" to it.

AK02
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-4-2018 at 16:01
The chemical properties and uses of Ethanol

Quote: Originally posted by ninhydric1  
Ethanol is NOT a cure to methanol poisoning; instead, it delays the onset of methanol poisoning. Alcohol dehydrogenase in our liver has a preference towards oxidizing ethanol over methanol and will first convert ethanol to acetaldehyde before it converts methanol. Depending on how much ethanol you consume, the onset of methanol poisoning can be delayed but NOT cured.

Well Ian Chen, when refering to the treatment/cure for methanol poisoning, we can first use fomepizole as a precursor to the use of Ethanol. It serves to block the formation of toxic metabolite in toxic alcohol or drug ingestions by having a higher affinity to the enzyme Alcohol Dehydrogenase which works most efficiently at 101° F. By working the body to a higher temperature through physical exertion, we can promote the perfect conditions for the amino acids to function in the restoration of epicyllin bonds. So before making such bold statements as to what the properties of Ethanol consist of, do your research ahead of time.

AK

[Edited on 26-4-2018 by AK02]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top