Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: damp mold/mildew
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 05:46
damp mold/mildew

a problem with Double glassing over winter is the lack of air circulation, living in a cold damp area there`s a lot of blackish mold / mildew around the windows.

obviously this will be cleaned off, but Which Copper salt would any of you recommend to prevent re occurance? of this problem?

I have: chloride, nitrate, sulphate, acetate, carbonate, sulphamate, and can make more or less any other if that would be better.

I was thinking the Chloride personally but I`m not certain, Your Thoughts please...

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Pyridinium
Hazard to Others

Mood: cupric

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 07:12

I would imagine the copper acetate, having an organic moiety, would be most readiliy assimilated by mold organisms.

I do recall from an early CRC handbook, back when they used to have an "arts and recipes" section, they recommended 5% CuSO4 to keep mold and mildew off of leather book bindings. So, either that or the acetate is probably a good bet.

(Edited for clarity)

[Edited on 28-3-2007 by Pyridinium]
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 07:31

well I did wonder about the acetate myself also, as it`s been used for centuries, but also wondered if that was to do more with ease of manufacture (copper plates in old grape skins) than something that was Really potent.

I use Copper sulphate soln on my plant seedlings as a spray to prevent "damping off".

the reason I thought the CuCl2 was that if it separates both the Cl2 and Cu are toxic, whereas the Acetate part may provide "Food"?

the Sulphate idea`s good though, that stuff is pretty hard to break down and would probably last much longer as a wipe over :)

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 07:59

Copper is toxic to humans, but significantly more toxic to microorganisms. Even insoluble copper compounds will slowly be broken down and poison the stuff. A lot of copper fungicides sold commercially are either hydroxide, oxychloride, or a long chain fatty acid salt in an oil medium or water emulsification. I think the acetate was popular because you can make it into Paris green Cupro-acetoarsenite which is incredibly potent (for obvious reasons). I'd stick with the sulfate since it's nice and stable.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 08:00

I would imagine oxychloride would be a straightforward treatment: slowly soluble, it isn't washed away by rain. I don't know how much it takes to kill a fungus though.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 08:44

Copper borates, from copper sulfate and borax. or cupric hydroxide and boric acid. Boron is somewhat toxic, especialy if you are surrounded by it. Could also add zinc borate as well.

On problem with fighting fungi is that they are eukaryote, and opisthokonts at that, and so are fairly close relatives to us, unlike bacteria which are quit distant, or plants and green algae, the other algae, diatoms, and the rest of the protists. As such, the stuff that poisons them tends to poison us as well.

A wipe with a solution containing SO2, or a bisulfite, might help control them during the damp time, as many of them are sensitive to it.

Chloride is usually a bad idea around metals, as for most it increases corrosion; and it's not that toxic. You see chlorides in antiseptics, but it's there as part of quaternary amine salts, the amine part is the toxic element, the chloride is a cheap and convenient anion.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 08:53

wow, I LIKE that Borate idea!

I have a tub of Boric acid and also Copper Carbonate, I think I`ll go that route, as the problem is Indoors and so solubility issues from weather aren`t a problem, only the condensation.

and yes, Boron is quite toxic too :)

IIRC isn`t it used for *ehem* Vaginal treatment against certain infections also, as well as Ant Killer.

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 09:19

For treating Candida infections, it works better than many of the anti-fungal meds in many cases. Follow up with probiotics to restore a good balance of fauna.

Roach killer too, boric acid or borax. Works on most crawling insects, gets on their leg hairs and eaten when they clean the hairs.

Works even better if you have a source of slow neutrons.

Might try the Cu/Zn borate plus excess boric acid, for wood surfaces mix with a little propylene glycol which will carry the boric acid and some of the metal ions into the wood a little.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 09:42

this is growing on Plastic would ya believe! and on the wall paper in the window alcove.
there`s even some on the Glass! amazing I know, Frakin` stuff!

edit: and yeah, Slow Neutrons aren`t a problem either, what/how would I use them (for)?

[Edited on 28-3-2007 by YT2095]

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 10:02

Eh, you don't want neutrons...those leave residual radiation. Gamma or x-ray radiation is fine, though.

Tim

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 10:11

It's a joke, son. For details see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_Neutron_Capture_Therapy and imagine boron laden insects in the neutron beam.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 11:10

thnx Papa :P

I wasn`t about to get the neutron gun out anyway, it doesn`t leave the Lab.
as for Gamma, same applies too, although it Might make an interesting "bench test" in the summer when there`s kazillions of ants out :)

I think I`ll make some Copper Borate and try that for a season, not only that but I don`t have any anyway, so it`ll be an interesting salt to add to the shelves :)

12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 28-3-2007 at 13:19

Ah, didn't know about that procedure. Interesting. :)

Tim

Go To Top