Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tin Oxide + Antimony Oxide Anode
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 16:36
Tin Oxide + Antimony Oxide Anode

Hello,

During a discussion regarding (Per)Chlroate Anode making someone here asked about a patent (and give a number) which described making a Ti substrate anode which involved Tin and Antimony Oxides only. No Lead Dioxide or anything else.
Can anyone here tell me where the post is, I cannot find it for the life of me.
Hope description is accurate.

TIA,
Dann2
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 3-4-2007 at 20:15

For reference:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2465&a...

"...a semiconducting coat of Sb doped SnO2..."
"...Then a thin (about 0.1mm) layer of alpha PbO2..."
"...The final coat of beta PbO2 was then plated..."

The SnO2 sounds like a primer as it were, perhaps to improve conductivity (Ti is almost impossible to plate as it anodizes readily).

I wonder if the more popular indium tin oxide would work even better.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2007 at 15:15

Thanks for reply,

The thread was about two months ago. The anode the guy mentioned did not involve any lead dioxide, only (I think) tin and Antimony oxide. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Cheers,

Dann2
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-5-2007 at 17:44

Hello,

I found the patent (or one similar). It used a doped Tin oxide on its own an
an anode for brine electrolysis.

Part below.

US Patent No. 3,627,669
Example 1 only. The electrode was used without any coating over the Doped Tin.
EXAMPLE 1

A composition suitable for coating on to an electrode support was prepared by boiling under a reflux condenser for 12 hours a mixture of 15 g. of stannic chloride, 0.4 g. of water and 55 g. of n-amyl alcohol and then stirring into 5.8 g. of the resultant mixture 0.125 g. of antimony trichloride. Twelve coats of this composition were painted on to a strip of titanium which had been immersed overnight in hot oxalic acid solution to etch the surface, then washed and dried. Each coating was dried in an oven at 200.degree. C. before the next coat was applied and after each third coat the structure was heated in air in a furnace at 450.degree. C. to convert the coating substantially to the oxides of antimony and tin. The total weight of the finished coating was 11.0 g./m squared of the titanium surface. The theoretical composition of the finished coating was SnO2 90 percent, oxides of antimony (calculated as Sb2O3) 10 percent by weight.

The coated titanium was operated successfully as an anode in chlorinated brine containing 21.5 percent w/w NaCl at pH 3 and 65.degree. C. with a current density of 8 kA/m squared. The chlorine overpotential was initially 470 mv. and had risen to 480 mv. after 5 days.
________________________________________________________-

Dann2
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 14:48
Here's another patent I just found.

In this patent, a layer of tin and antimony oxides is used as an intermediate layer between the titanium substrate and an outer coating of MnO2.

But there is also an example where the MnO2 is put on directly over the titanium without using any SnO2.

In some examples, the MnO2 is electroplated on from an aqueous MnSO4 solution (and then baked) and in other examples, it is formed by thermal decomposition of a manganese nitrate solution.

Since a 5 lb bag of manganese sulfate can be bought for under $10 from a garden store, and if the MnO2 can be easily electrodeposited onto titanium or graphite (as the literature implies) and if it can be easily converted to the beta form at kitchen stove temperatures, and being that it is relatively non-toxic and environmentally friendly...then it may be the ideal material for an anode for small scale perchlorate production.

It may be a little less efficient than PbO2 or platinum, but if the above advantages can be realized, that's a small price to pay, IMO.

And even if it only lasts a few hundred hours, so what? You can just make another one.

Attachment: 4028215.pdf (702kB)
This file has been downloaded 771 times

dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 16:29

Hello,

Sounds like a good find.

Manganese sulphate in the Garden store? is use as a trace metal supply for plants? or did you mean ceramic store.

Did not read the patent yet (downloading slow connection), but perhaps the anode with no Sn02 undercoat was/is a massive anode as such. The electrical connection NOT being made to the Ti but to the MnO2 directly. The Ti just being used a physical thing to hold the MnO2.
Seen a Lead Dioxide anode patent done that way.

Good find.

Cheers

Dann2
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 17:12

Here's a 5 lb. bag of manganese sulfate for sale on ebay. I guess you could call it "fertilizer".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Manganese-Sulfate-for-Palms-Trees-Shrubs...

BTW "Example 8" of the patent is the case without the intermediate layer. It seems the electrical connection was made to the titanium as they mention a somewhat higher voltage on the electrode compared to those with the intermediate layer.
hashashan
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 22:24

but what will you do whith an anode that cant go from chloride to perchlorate directly.
the removal of chloride from the chlorate is quite a mess
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-5-2007 at 22:41

Well, there ARE other uses for good anodes... one could use it to produce a myriad of other products from electrolysis. Of course they're all boring except for the (per)chlorates ;)

I have MnO2, any ideas on turning that into the sulfate?

-Alan

edit: wait, I think there is a thread on that already...

[Edited on 28-5-2007 by alancj]
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 19:34

Quote:
Originally posted by hashashan
but what will you do whith an anode that cant go from chloride to perchlorate directly.

How do you figure? I find it quite simple. I don't have silver nitrate on hand, but I do have lead acetate on hand and I can quite easily wash potassium chlorate to that extent (less than 0.1% Cl, say).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 19:39

Quote:
Originally posted by alancj
Well, there ARE other uses for good anodes... one could use it to produce a myriad of other products from electrolysis. Of course they're all boring except for the (per)chlorates ;)

[Edited on 28-5-2007 by alancj]

Hello,

The Perchlorates seem to be where everyone is trying to get to.

All anode materials that can make Perchlorate will go from Chloride to Perchlorate without stopping as far as the chemistry is concerned (AFAIK).
It is the wear excessive wear rate that makes it not a great way to go. Perhaps I am too obsessed with wear rates but even graphite costs money and then there is the horrible mess........

There are three types of MnO2, Alpha, Beta and Gamma.
Alpha you do not want, Beta is best, Gamma is OK. (AFAIK)
Beta is what you get with thermal decomposition methods.
Gamma with electrodeposition methods.
There are other oxides you do not want which you get if you
heat too much.
Mn02 does not alloy into Ti oxide (like the way Ru Oxide does).
I pulled the following from a book.

From Electrodes of Conductive Metallic Oxides (Book)

In the case of Mn(NO3)2 the decomposition takes place at relatively low temperatures, practically
already at 100C. The choice of the pyrolyzing temperature is very critical in this case in that at higher
temperatures (above 400C) MnO2 decomposes to Mn2O3. The closeness of the two temperature ranges is such that

mixed oxides or MnO2 with a surface layer of Mn2O3 are often obtained. Such a surface film strongly decreases

the conductivity of the entire layer.
The pyrolysis of Mn(NO3)2 gives the Beta form of MnO2 (but below
150C other varieties of MnO2 may be obtained), whereas the electrochemical deposition and chemical
methods give rise to Gamma MnO2 (at room temperature Alpha MnO2 may be obtained). The relationship
between Beta and Gamma is one of stoichiometry and lattice order. The transition from one form to
the other occures by simply heating. The Gamma form loses water progressively and becomes increasingly
stoichoimetric until the Beta form developes. Above 400C decomposition to Mn2O3 takes place and at
higher temperatures Mn3O4 is formed. Beta MnO2 losses water at 110C which is however not bound to
the lattice. As a matter of fact, electrodes are sometimes prepared with a pyrolythic layer covered
by electrolythic MnO2.
MnO2 has also been prepared from the Carbonate by pyrolysis.

Beta MnO2 has higher conductivity than Gamma MnO2

Dann2
alancj
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-5-2007 at 19:54

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
Quote:
Originally posted by hashashan

How do you figure? I find it quite simple. I don't have silver nitrate on hand, but I do have lead acetate on hand and I can quite easily wash potassium chlorate to that extent (less than 0.1% Cl, say).

Tim

I think what hashashan meant was that it is hard to separate out sodium chlorate from the chloride present in a chlorate cell in order to prepare it for a perchlorate cell. This is an issue if your anode can't be used to go all the way from chloride to perchlorate non-stop. The potassium salt can’t be used to make perchlorate since both are not very soluble.

-Alan
hashashan
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-5-2007 at 03:55

Of course you can purify the chlorade from the chloride. I did it once, but it is a reall mess.
Either you recristalyze several times(if you have about 3 liters it can take you all day to do so) or you can go to potassium, recrystalize once and then return to sodium using sodiumn sulfate (which is also not a very good method because you do have to wait quite a lot time before all the potassium sulfate settles.
Anyway i call a perfect anode an anode that i can just stick into a bucket and go to a trip for 2 weeks, come back and get perch.

if you have to purify it somewhere in the middle its not very good, too mesy for me.
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2007 at 18:33

Dann2, there are several MnO2 anode patents assigned to "Diamond Shamrock". They seem to be saying in all these that Mn(NO3)2 generally makes a better MnO2 anode than any other precursor compound such as MnSO4.

According to them, this is true whether the coating is put on by electroplating or by way of painted-on thermodecomposable salt solution.

They also claim that anode quality is dependant on baking temperature and impurities.

As I see it, a significant part of this effect must be mediated by changes in crystal size and/or structure.

And if this is the case, then who knows, maybe a MnSO4 solution with the right additive might be just as good a precursor as Mn(NO3)2.

I'm attaching a paper which discusses making MnO2 by electrodeposition from MnSO4, using a TiSO4 dopant. (Although this particular paper was concerned with making MnO2 for cathode material in an alkaline cell it is an interesting read).

(BTW I wonder if MnO2 anode subject matter shoud be under its own seperate heading?)

Attachment: Electrodeposition of Manganese Dioxide technical report.doc (102kB)
This file has been downloaded 1679 times

dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2007 at 22:04

Hello,

@Roscoe

Do you have any Anode patents involving DTO that have a low Sb content in the DTO coating that do not substitute something else (Nobels) for the Antimony.
You stated that they were posted to the board. I am unable to find any.

Dann2
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 18-12-2007 at 03:27

I'm trying to find it just for you :D

Here's one but I'm not sure it is the one I had in mind so I will add to the list as I can .

US3917518

US3865703

US3793164

The noble metals were for doping the TiO2 more than the SnO2 . As they would use thicker layers of SnO2 the Sb was substituted because it was cheaper , and did a fine job of
making the SnO2 conductive , even though it didn't do much for the TiO2 . As for the nobles being substituted for the
Sb , you have it backwards what they were doing .
You don't need to use more Sb to account for the lower
use of nobles . Because even at very low levels of Sb ,
a couple of percent to perhaps 5% , the job of making the SnO2 conductive is accomplished and then some , and the conductivity worsens from there with increasing Sb , while the physical integrity of the layer suffers also .

[Edited on 18-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2007 at 05:45

Just wondering, has anyone been able to use OTC 95/5 solder to make a suitable precursor for a pyrolytic DTO coating?
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 18-12-2007 at 09:43

Quote:
Originally posted by jpsmith123
Just wondering, has anyone been able to use OTC 95/5 solder to make a suitable precursor for a pyrolytic DTO coating?

I thought that's what everyone was already using, there are plenty of references

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8592&a...

better speak to Eclectic about it!

I gather Dann2 doesn't have access to 95/5 lead free solder, thats why he's working with the separate elements - AFAIK.....
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 18-12-2007 at 10:19

Sheesh it is beginning to look like a bismuth containing
solder alloy could be desirable as well ,
if indications this may be the case are confirmed .
It may take the Sb working together with the Bi ,
At this juncture though, both appear to possibly , probably , be needed together . Wish I could be more specific .

[Edited on 18-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 10:37

Hello,

Quote:

I have failed in all attempts. Perhaps someone more skilled in the art, eh. But on a serious note SnCl2 (<strike>the Stannate</strike> sorry Stannous Chloride!!!) has not been used in any patent that I have seen. I have been using ebay Tin and Sb metal at above 15% Sb. Also used SnCl2:2H20 (solid out of a jar) + SbClx (Sb metal dissolved with HCl + H2O2).
Then there is the 'upping the oxidation state to Stannic (SnCl4) thing'. I was not able to make any headway with that either.
One problem I had was when you added the Sb Trichloride to the SnCl2 + H2O2 mix, it ppt'ed as Sb Oxide (or is it Hydrated Oxide).
If some of you guys could come up with a plan for to get solid SnCl4:5H2O from the SnCl2 + H2O2 then it may be possible to proceed with the solid SnCl4:5H2O (as per the patents).
You should not need to go to the solid admittedly but when you have the solid you (sort of ) know where you stand.
(The SnCl2 coming originally from Tin + HCl, ie.OTC.)

I have since obtained a jar of SnCl4:H2O

Sorry for not posting for a whole day but the divorce papers arrived today and I had to look through them..... (OJ'ing :D)

Dann2

[Edited on 19-12-2007 by dann2]
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 14:04

Well Dann2 today I tried to buy some 95/5 solder locally, and I couldn't find any; Lowe's didn't have it, Home Depot didn't have it (and I know they used to carry it), and I didn't see it at Sears, either.

Maybe tomorrow if I get a chance I'll try some smaller hardware stores.

After all the work you've done in trying to use the metals...to no avail...well I don't think I'll even attempt to retrace your footsteps. What I'm curious about is whether or not the 95/5 solder can be anodically dissolved in NH4OH and deposited from that solution, as per the process described in the patent Rosco recently uploaded.

Quote:

Sorry for not posting for a whole day but the divorce papers arrived today and I had to look through them..... (OJ'ing )

Yes I've found that women for some reason don't like to play second fiddle to things like perchlorate anodes.
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 16:17

Quote:

Yes I've found that women for some reason don't like to play second fiddle to things like perchlorate anodes.

Well, AFAIK from my experience is that is situations such this, it shows the true intelligence and neediness of certain women. Some can be supportive, many not. There is the art of compromise( I call appeasement) if you are lucky enough to get a woman that even slightly submissive, then you can show them how you could make money or hep your fellow man. But then again some women are just not reasonable enough to let a man breathe a little.

[Edited on 12/19/2007 by chloric1]

Fellow molecular manipulator
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 16:38

Well being that Christmas is coming, I think Dann2 just needs to get her something special...like maybe some nice titanium jewelry...heck he could even coat it with DTO! How many women this year do you think will be getting earrings that can also make perchlorate?
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 17:16

The ones in the know will be demanding Pt earrings - none of this cheapskate DTO-Ti rubbish.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 19-12-2007 at 17:20

Quote:
Well Dann2 today I tried to buy some 95/5 solder locally, and I couldn't find any; Lowe's didn't have it, Home Depot didn't have it (and I know they used to carry it), and I didn't see it at Sears, either.

Maybe tomorrow if I get a chance I'll try some smaller hardware stores.

@ jpsmith123

I've just been discussing the situation here in NZ with Twospoons. The only place we have found here is an online electronics parts company. I think this type of solder is mainly used in electronics, and will be the .8 - 1.0 mm dia. resin cored wire type!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top