Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boza
Nixie
Hazard to Others

Mood: ?

[*] posted on 28-6-2007 at 16:57
Boza

Well, this is more biology, but anyway.

I want to make boza, but I don't have starter culture and importing from overseas is not realistic. Given the list below of organisms present in significant numbers in it I found in a paper that has studied this fermented drink, I'm wondering if I can get similar fermentation by simply mixing some baker's yeast and yogurt:

Bacteria in boza: Lactobacillus paracasei subsp. paracasei, Lactobacillus pentosus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, and Lactobacillus fermentum; total 9x10^6 to 5x10^7 CFU/mL.

Yeasts in boza: Candida diversa, Candida inconspicua, Candida pararugosa, Issatchenkia orientalis, Pichia fermentans, Pichia guillliermondii, Pichia norvegensis, Rhodotorula mucilaginosa, and Torulaspora delbrueckii; total 1.3 x10^2 to 1.8x10^3 CFU/mL.

[Edited on 28-6-2007 by Nixie]

\"Good is a product of the ethical and spiritual artistry of individuals; it cannot be mass-produced.\" --Aldous Huxley
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2007 at 17:56

The yeast might not do well, being selected for a somewhat different environment. But more than the, the flavour isn't likely to be a close match.

If you leave near a large city, I suspect that you can find shops that cater to people from the the region where boza is popular, and there's a chance they'll stock the drink. So long as it has not been pasturised, it should do as starter although you may need to take it through several successive batches for the population balance to be reestablished.
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-8-2007 at 13:15
from where are you from?

Boza drink is very simple. 1 kg corn farina in 10 litters water. Leave it for 12 hours.

Add sugar as you think that is normal....make a test with spoon...:)

Boiling for 2-3 hours

After at 35 C add bread leavened (every food market have it)

5-6-12 hours fermentation and

BOZA IS DONE!

After store at 4 C. Fermentation will be very slowly.

Drink and enjoy!

Go To Top