Author: Subject: Chemicals found in New York
pyrochem
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 16:17
Chemicals found in New York

A somewhat chemophobic article appeared on CNN today:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/29/chemicals.found/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A man who allegedly stored nearly 1,500 pounds of potassium nitrate and other chemicals in his Staten Island home and a nearby storage facility was charged with reckless endangerment Friday, according to the New York City Police Department.

Police said Miguel Serrano, 57, had bought the chemicals in bulk from an Ohio-based dealer and was intending to resell the chemicals in smaller quantities on the Internet. It was the dealer who tipped off the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives after Serrano had allegedly ordered 5,000 pounds of potassium nitrate, according to a police report.

Late Thursday night, several residential blocks were cordoned off and a few dozen homes were evacuated in Staten Island as police searched Serrano's home and a nearby commercial storage facility.

According to New York Police Sgt. Kevin Hayes, authorities found less than a thousand pounds of chemicals in the home, including potassium nitrate, sulfur, mercury, and peroxide. At the off-site storage facility, authorities found about 1,500 pounds of chemicals, mainly potassium nitrate.

The NYPD's Paul Brown said there is no indication the chemicals were being used for bomb-making or anything terror-related. According to Brown, the man was buying the chemicals in bulk and reselling them on the Internet.

Potassium nitrate can be used to make gunpowder and rocket fuel or to clean septic tanks. It can also be used to cure meats.

Police said Serrano has been cooperating with investigators since his arrest.

ATF officials said there do not appear to have been any violations of federal explosives laws, but added that chemical-storage rules may have been violated.

Small quantities of hydrogen peroxide, potassium permanganate, elemental mercury, iodine, sulfur, ammonium dichromate, and aluminum powder were also recovered during the raid, police said.

-------------------------------------------------------

Seems like a bit of an overreaction, seeing as he was apparently engaged in a legitimate business venture. The article doesn't describe any particular hazards posed by the substances, apparently the term "chemicals" is enough to scare most readers.
DerAlte
National Hazard

Mood: Disgusted

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 16:38

Seems like a reasonable and somewhat muted response from ATF. 2.5 tons of nitrate is a bit suspicious, especially near NYC. There was also a suspected terrorist attempt in London today - haven't seen details.

Regards,

DerAlte
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 16:43

A reasonable and muted response would have been to ASK the man why he had such large quantities of things it was entirely legal for him to have, IF they could have come up with any legitimate legal excuse to even ask.

Instead, they effectively committed an act of TERRORISM.
not_important
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 17:20

Quote:
including potassium nitrate, sulfur, mercury, and peroxide.

K3wl, he had O2(-2) Wonder how it was stored, much less isolate.

The sulfur and mercury make him sound like an alchemist.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 17:59

"Potassium nitrate can be used to make gunpowder and rocket fuel or to clean septic tanks. It can also be used to cure meats."

I thought that was potassium nitrite?

I don't see what the big deal is, KNO3 is hardly that dangerous at all if it's kept away from reducing agents and acids...

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
DerAlte
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2007 at 20:16

Re-reading the article carefully, "reckless endangerment" does seem a bit extreme. But can you imagine storing a half-ton of any nitrate in your house? Chemical storge rules may indeed have been violated. The guy was obviously trying to make a buck in the good old US fashion by buying low and selling higher on the internet. His selection of chemicals may have been unwise. I'm glad for him he didn't include acetone.

I do not see extreme paranoia here, in fact only a mild and understandable reaction. I am sure he was asked why he had them, Eclectic. And he probably gave a reasonable answer. Let's see the follow up, when the justice system takes the case. I do hope he doesn't get a Duke University rape case type prosecutor. Personally I hope all charges are dropped, with a warning to be a bit more sensible.

@Fkeaker, I believe both nitrite and nitrate are used for meats. Any possible reductions will produce the nitrite anyhow, so it might be listed as well. On its own nitrate is hardly any danger. I wolldn't like to have a half ton near any wood, or organic, in case of fire. Cleaning septic tanks is a new usage to me.

Regards,

DerAlte
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 30-6-2007 at 07:19

Quote:
Originally posted by DerAlte
Let's see the follow up, when the justice system takes the case.

Problem is that most of readers do not see that follow up because its rather dull and uninteresting if justice system finds that someone is not guilty. Newspapers do not bother do write about such things or if they still do then in small print and in pages that are not read by most readers.

It's not enough if jury finds that you are not guilty because it also finds that police and journalists have no obligation to compensate in any way the moral and material damage they have done to you, your family and your hobby.

It's true that most of non-terrorists or non-druggies are released after some hysteria as not quilty but i never heard of any case where they got any compensation for destreyed chemicals or whatever other material or immaterial that was destroyed by overeager media and poorly educated police.

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
DerAlte
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2007 at 10:03

Good and valid point, Chromium - DerAlte

Go To Top